Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Putting a kettle into a Performer Cart  (Read 2556 times)

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Putting a kettle into a Performer Cart
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:52:57 AM »
I have the brackets, what's the best way to mark and drill the kettle that will be used?  Set it on top of the old on and measure/mark with it as a reverse template?  Put the brackets in the cart and lower the kettle into the brackets and mark?  Some other method that escapes me?

Thank you in advance!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Putting a kettle into a Performer Cart
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:24:42 PM »
The way I do it - and it's not the only way - is to use a 1" block of wood (not 3/4", needs to be one full inch) and sit the bracket upside down on it. With the bowl sitting flat on a table upside down, (rim on the table) slide the bracket to the bowl and mark the holes. If you want to get fancy, cut the 1" block to match the curvature of the bowl. Same for the other side, but take time to be sure it's exactly on center. Not sure which brackets you are using, and mine may differ in some way. Bottom line, measure twice, drill once.

Keep us informed...

Marty
Retired

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »
Some pics might help. Here's the set up. Brackets loosely bolted to the frame and spaced 1" below the rim. (all upside down) Brackets are then taped to the bowl - masking tape, painters tape, duct tape - whatever.

Take the bowl off the frame with the brackets still taped on and mark the holes using a silver Sharpie. Then drill as you like, start with a 1/16 pilot hole and work your way up.

Retired

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
Excellent, as usual, Marty!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 09:16:16 PM »
When i mounted the cado i "measured" where i wanted the brackets to be and then drilled SLIGHTLY larger holes to allow for a little wiggle adjustment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 04:37:46 AM »
Thank you so much for the replies!  I'll grab some 1" bar stock from work and get after it some time this week.

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »
Is it possible to have the cart sitting level, attach the brackets to the cart, and set the bowl into the cart/brackets, then mark the holes?
Just a thought...

Vinny

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 08:47:23 AM »
Tried that, but the weight of the bowl makes it difficult to hold everything straight while you try to keep it level and tape the brackets. Upside down takes away that problem entirely.
Retired

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 03:11:31 PM »

Tried that, but the weight of the bowl makes it difficult to hold everything straight while you try to keep it level and tape the brackets. Upside down takes away that problem entirely.

Buzz kill...!

Vinny