Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First attempt at Picanha  (Read 839 times)

meat_feet

• WKC Brave
First attempt at Picanha
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:54 PM »
Had to use two separate grills.  One for low and slow, one for searing. I was scared I was going to eff up a good cut of meat. Just salt. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First attempt at Picanha
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:24:25 PM »
Looks wonderful.

Hey, can you, or anyone else, tell me why it's traditional to leave that fat on like that? Gives it a special look, but ... what else?

And did you cook it straight on the kitchen stove first? With rock salt? I know nothing of sirloin cap.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

meat_feet

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
Looks wonderful.

Hey, can you, or anyone else, tell me why it's traditional to leave that fat on like that? Gives it a special look, but ... what else?

And did you cook it straight on the kitchen stove first? With rock salt? I know nothing of sirloin cap.
I cooked at 200° on Weber number one until it hit 120°. Then I seared the crap out of it on the vortex with Weber #2.   I only used rock salt to remain one traditional aspect, since it's usually on skewers. The fat cap is the way it's supposed to be prepared - so I left it on. I also aimed the cap towards the indirect side at first. Traditional = equals I watch too much YouTube and am good at trivia.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
Gotcha.

But what's going on with the stove/range burner?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

meat_feet

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 06:51:23 PM »
It's where I prepped inside.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »
Fat cap will baste the rest of the meat especially when cooked on a rotisserie. Also, the charred fat cap is delicious and typically eaten.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 04:56:12 AM »
It's where I prepped inside.

Oh OK. Looks like the burner is on (it’s res); that’s what messed me up.