Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Restore...  (Read 1811 times)

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
First Restore...
« on: June 15, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »
My dad built the deck on my parents house and used to sand and stain it every spring.  He died almost 8 years ago to the day on June 14, 2010.  I sanded and stained the first year and my cousin did it the second year.  Fast forward 6 years and I got several promotions at work and my son got older and my spare time went from little to none.  My cousin attempted to sand and stain and actually fell through the deck as it was in such disrepair.

My mother is up in age now and has a live-in caretaker.  She’d grown tired of staying indoors all the time, so she had the deck rebuilt and while it looks beautiful, it brought back a flood of memories of all family barbecues we used to have and how quiet the house and yard is these days.  She often tells me how she wishes she could go outside and barbecue which got me to thinking.....

I’ve been scouring the usual sources for an expensive gasser to give her.  I figure that she and her caretaker can sit on the deck and cook have lunch and dinner on nice days.

I’ve now secured an older Genesis Silver that is on surprising like good shape for a $50 find.  Flavorizer Bars are in shockingly good shape as are the burners.  My biggest concern is the sides of the cook box and lids, there are some spots of bare spots that I’d like to paint.

Do I just tape them of and spray or do I need to scuff/sand to bare metal and then paint?  Also, is it just high-hear Rustoleum or is there something else I should be using?

I may also replace the durawood with some scrap from my wood pile.

Will be sure to post pics when completed.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First Restore...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
Kudos to you for helping your Morher with happy memories, depends on how in depth you want to get but a sanded rough surface, good primer then paint should be sufficient, tell your Mother we said hello from Doraville, Ga

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 05:40:47 PM »
The cook box and lid sides are aluminum, so whatever you want to do regarding paint is fine. Standard, "black BBQ color" (you want high heat paint) is a decent match. The lid proper is porcelain enamel (as with the kettles) and new paint won't look right on it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 05:56:30 PM »
Ok; will pick up from either Lowe’s or Menard’s tomorrow.

On a side note, if Menard’s ever starts carrying Weber they will prob be my favorite store....

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:09:37 PM »
Rustoleum High Heat Ultra gives a semi gloss appearance.  High heat is flat black and kind of greyish looking.   Knock the flaking paint off, scuff it up a little, clean it thoroughly then shoot it a couple of times.   

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »
Got my first  good look at the grill in full day light and this things looks prettying freaking good!

These pics are as received from the seller with zero clean up whatsoever:

Now I’m torn; part of me wants to give it to my mom and the other part of me wants to fix it up nice with stainless flavorizers, grates and cedar shelves and hardware and just give my mom my Q300.

I may have to do an old school side-by-side cookoff and see which one I prefer.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 05:52:49 PM »
I'd keep it. Give mom the Q. The double flavorizer bar setup works great. I just restored a red one with the wood slats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
Just to let you know, that's not a Genny Silver, it's a generation before that.  I'd have to do le check when I get home, but I believe that's a Genny 1000 or 2000 variant. 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:02:24 PM »
Yep, by the time it was called “Silver” it would have been only 5 Flavorizers and plastic tables, yes?

Regardless, that looks grate.

And you have a third option: sell the Q300, update this one as you mentioned, give it to mom. Cook on it at her place when there. And keep an eye open for the next interesting one, for you.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
Kind of yes, kind of no.  Gets a little confusing.  Genesis 1-5 and 1000-5000 had the double layer of flavorizers.  During the production years of the 1000-5000, they introduced the Spirit which only had 5 FBs.

Also, somewhere in that time, Weber moved to Durawood then Thermoset.

But yes, the Silver/Gold Gennys were the first Gennys to have both a single layer of FBs and the Thermoset tables.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 03:22:55 AM »
Look's great!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

northernQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 05:35:34 AM »
I have the same one! Purchased in 1992, maybe ‘91. Great machine, and still all original. The only issue is that the rails holding the drip tray rusted and the screws that hold it to the base have corroded solid.

Still produces good solid and even heat across all three burners.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app