Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need advice about damaged CGA  (Read 1017 times)

cocoman29680

• Happy Cooker
Need advice about damaged CGA
« on: June 14, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
Hi to all. I have just introduced myself in the introduction forum.

Posting from Estepona in Southern Spain.

I have just purchased an EI code CGA via Wallapop (2nd hand trading app and forum). Seller said it was ok as pictures didn't showed all areas. When I received it I noticed main body behind side vents was damaged, as well as bottom. It is strangely scratched and porcelain seems cracked. See attached pictures:

I really want the grill, as they are not so common here in Spain. I paid 18€ for it (21$). Cover, wooden handles, vents and legs are in good shape. Food grid is rusted and not sure if recoverable, but I have a never used CGA, and Weber Spain sells replacement parts here (as expensive as 20something euro).

My question is: based on your experiences, do you think all porcelain will end up falling into pieces with a regular use? I have the choice to reject it for 24 more hours and money will be refunded (not sure if shipping costs, extra 5,95€, will be). If this happens I can always use the wooden handles for the other new one, and jump into another one as soon as it appears in wallapop.

In other words: should I keep it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Rafa
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:09:23 AM by cocoman29680 »

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need advice about damaged CGA
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »
Looks like someone got it good and hot
and dumped water on it to extinguish the coals.

If it were me, I'd pack that sucker up and
send it back to the seller.

Another one will come along.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
For $21, it’s a keeper.  Sure it’s a little rough around the edges, but still has a lot of life left in it. 

Keep it, use the hell out of it, and keep an eye out for another one in better condition.  When you find another CGA in better shape, gift this one to a friend and spread the love.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:08:05 AM »
Quit being a baby and clean it up and cook in it. Your gonna love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
keeper and a cooker for sure, I would cook on it and smile
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
I would keep it for that price. It's not that pretty but should clean up better and cook just fine.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
She’s not a model, but she’s a keeper.  Use ‘er & abuse ‘er.  Those handles alone are worth what you paid.  I’d replace the handles & keep ‘em for something sexier. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »

The spider web cracking of the porcelain is caused from being exposed to excessive heat.  Usually, the porcelain will not all fall off when crazed. The damage already done is probably as bad as it will get. For the amount you have invested for an item you say is hard and expensive to find in Spain, I would say keep it and cook on it with no worries.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 12:10:51 PM »
OK.  I change my vote after reading the other posts.
For $21 keep the darn thing.
It will probably out live some of us. ::)

cocoman29680

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
Thank you very much to all of you.

I have no doubt, I will keep it. Will be my first cleaning/restoration and let's see how much life is stiil in it.

Best regards,

Rafa

cocoman29680

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 02:30:37 PM »

The spider web cracking of the porcelain is caused from being exposed to excessive heat.  Usually, the porcelain will not all fall off when crazed. The damage already done is probably as bad as it will get. For the amount you have invested for an item you say is hard and expensive to find in Spain, I would say keep it and cook on it with no worries.

Thanks a lot for the clarifying response. Here in Spain lump charcoal is ubiquitous (maybe more than 95% vs briquettes), even wood burn down to embers is quite common, so this could explain the "spider web cracking" (those words resume all the damage), due to the high temperatures.

Cheers.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »
Its going to end up your favorite cooker. At home on a table, loaded up at the park or beach. Super versatile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 07:45:16 AM »
Clean it. Keep it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
Need advice about damaged CGA
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 10:27:36 AM »
Looks like it could of been used without the lower grate putting the hot coals directly on the bottom.

It’s a weathered warrior for sure. Enjoy it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk