Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: When you smoke a brisket, where are you guys sticking your meat probe?  (Read 1158 times)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
I've been trying to improve my brisket game.  Last weekend I made one that was by far my best brisket yet, but there was a still room for improvement.  One of the issues was that the point came out really moist, while the flat was a bit dry.  It got me wondering about where to temp the meat.  Should I be sticking the probe into the point or into the flat? 

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
So here is the story.. the flat and the point two different cuts of meat.. one is thin and lean the other thick and fatty. The trick is to smoke them till they are toothpick soft . Around 203 in the point . I kinda stick my prob in the middle to get an idea where I am at.. there is no right or wrong way. Like fat side up or down. You can smoke the flat to soft and separate it from the point and leave that on the smoker. Just wrap the flat in some butcher paper and some towels and put it in a cooler while waiting for the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
I place mine in the thickest part of the flat which is more towards the point. I monitor the flat more because it’s leaner and can dry out. The point is like a pork butt and hard to mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
I use a Thermapen. No cables. I hate cables. Butt yeah, get the flat to probe tender... usually around 200-ish.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Thick part of flat. I wrap in butcher paper about 6 hour in and cook to 195ish and put it in a cooler. Temp climbs the final 5-7 degrees in the cooler before going back down. Every time I take it to 200 before rest, the flat gets too dry.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
When you smoke a brisket, where are you guys sticking your meat probe?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 08:32:27 AM »
Thick part of flat. I wrap in butcher paper about 6 hour in and cook to 195ish and put it in a cooler. Temp climbs the final 5-7 degrees in the cooler before going back down. Every time I take it to 200 before rest, the flat gets too dry.

Last few I’ve done took probe tender 200-205 ish . Before throwing in the cooler,  I unwrap and let the steam out for 10 minutes  before wrapping back . Stops the cooking process and turns out perfect !

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Kind of a personal question for a barbecue forum!  lol.  I try to separate the two cuts and run 2 cookers when I do brisket now so I don't get a dry flat.  It helps that I have 2 Maverick 733 units too.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer

I place mine in the thickest part of the flat which is more towards the point. I monitor the flat more because it’s leaner and can dry out. The point is like a pork butt and hard to mess up.

☝️this

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Another thing to keep into consideration is picking out a good brisket with a thick flat. A lot of store briskets will have thin flats or very uneven thickness in the flat. Try and find one that’s uniform in size and not thin. Also pick it up and fold it. If it bends good , that is the brisket to buy. Think the most important factor in a great cooked brisket is finding the right one

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador

Last few I’ve done took probe tender 200-205 ish . Before throwing in the cooler,  I unwrap and let the steam out for 10 minutes  before wrapping back . Stops the cooking process and turns out perfect !

Great suggestion!  Thank you. I will definitely try that next time.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave

Interesting, do you keep the thing whole and wrap just the flat end after 6 hours and keep on cooking the brisket whole, till you hit the 195f mark and then into the cooler?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador

Interesting, do you keep the thing whole and wrap just the flat end after 6 hours and keep on cooking the brisket whole, till you hit the 195f mark and then into the cooler?

Whole thing. At 6 hours or 160 degree internal the bark and smoke flavor are set. The butcher paper helps speed the cooking process and helps retain moisture. At least in my opinion.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Well this ain't gonna help any but I always cook brisket on my stick burner with the point on the hot side...Both sides cook evenly and it's all good...

And I agree with Hawgheaven about no cables...I trust my thermopen...