Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Age of WSM  (Read 2118 times)

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
Age of WSM
« on: June 05, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »
I recently got my first WSM via FB marketplace, and tried looking for age (looked even age guide) of this WSM. There is no stamp and no raised lines on vent.

Here are some pictures

Looking for Colored 18 MBH

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Age of WSM
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 01:11:30 PM »
With no markings, it might pre-date time itself!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »
There was a period in the early 90’s that didn’t have stamps on the vents. Not sure when the period started or when it ended, but I’d guess late 80’s to sometime into the 90’s. I can’t recall seeing a WSM with a date stamp past 1985/86. I believe I’ve seen an O and and an N before...so perhaps after 1991 or before 1990?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Thanks -Was reading more on http://virtualweberbullet.com/determine-age-weber-grills-smokers.html

And it says

There are also a few smokers that have no date  code; it's assumed these smokers are the result of manufacturing errors or they may be pre-production models.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 07:11:21 PM »
Chiku,

This is true. A few rare early ones have no date stamps. Weber replacement parts also have no stamps. That said, I'm pretty sure there was a stretch in the 1990's that didn't have stamps, either.

One thing I recall reading was that the very earliest legs (and sometimes doors) were made of steel, not aluminum. If it truly is an early one...try a magnet on the legs and see if it sticks.

-Mike

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 04:38:07 AM »
I just did the magnet test - it doesn't stick either on legs or door,  sounds like early one (before 1981 C codes were released ?).

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 05:48:25 AM »
Take a look at the images at that link, for the C codes. Steel door, steel legs (rusty.) It's unlikely there would be one similarly as old but made with aluminum.

TVWB's age guide is excellent, and more detailed than ours. But I think their assumption re: manufacturing errors regarding why some WSMs have no date code is just that, a guess. What we do know is that Weber is (in)famous for using standardized parts where possible.

Companies like Weber rarely employ archivists, so we'll never know the real story. That being said, it's a safe bet they had a batch of unstamped vents they ran through at some point to save money during the late '80s/early '90s economic downturn, or had excess inventory of them, or whatever.

Here are some questions I have. Would, or did, B, C etc WSMs have handles with The One The Only on them? If so, that handle on yours is "too new." The door may provide a better clue. What years were they diamond engraved like that?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 06:53:11 AM »
ATS- Thanks , some of what you wrote makes sense.

Looking at this picture from TVWBB (C Code) http://virtualweberbullet.com/wsmage_photos/clayhouser2.jpg
Handles are same as mine. Can't find much on door engraving.

Mystery continues !!!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »

I just did the magnet test - it doesn't stick either on legs or door,  sounds like early one (before 1981 C codes were released ?).

Well if it stuck I would say it’s older than a B/C code. Since, it didn’t, they are aluminum...and are more than likely from a later date.

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 08:40:39 AM »

Well if it stuck I would say it’s older than a B/C code. Since, it didn’t, they are aluminum...and are more than likely from a later date.

Here I was thinking I got a rare bird  :(. Thank you Mike for the insights.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:53 AM »

Here I was thinking I got a rare bird  :(. Thank you Mike for the insights.
I think maybe you are the rare bird @chiku18
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 08:54:12 AM »

I think maybe you are the rare bird @chiku18

I was living in that illusion till I joined this club and met you.
What a club and group of folks !!!