Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: temps 300+ possible?  (Read 2718 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: temps 300+ possible?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 03:52:15 AM »
You all really need to join the “Friends of Hunsaker Smokers” Facebook page -  I’ve been dinking around with the Vortex on the 22” WSM’s and I personally found them to be too drafty and had to gasket the door and completely plug two of the vents. We compete with Hunsakers and we’ve also got some clone cans including a Gateway clone running vortex baskets- the drums are much tighter than bullets imo. So much so that I prefer using a 22” Kettle with a One Touch vent and Wsm body. I can easily cook 350* at 50% venting and 275* at 25%.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 06:10:38 AM »
Brian, if I'm not mistaken, the question about the second grate comes from the assumption you'd smoke with a Hunsaker ... but this is really for grilling in a WSM/drum instead, yeah?

The 18.5 remains curious to me. If they're using that platform for the Vortex it would mean they either have multiple models for WSM (nope) or that the Vortex is now a smaller diameter from what it was originally. So if it got taller, to retain capacity, that would also hint at why you wouldn't want to use a WSM's second grate with it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 03:20:07 AM »
Hunsakers are all about Hot n Fast
Take a look at their Products page and their Vortex plate for the 18” ring and the reviews and pics regarding its use
I’ve only used it in a 22” so I’m no help with the 18’s

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!