Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SnS Rotiserrie Chicken  (Read 1878 times)

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
SnS Rotiserrie Chicken
« on: May 29, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
I've been thinking of digging out my rotiserrie again.   I haven't tried it for a few years.   I had trouble tying the chicken and the two that I tried didn't taste as good as spatchcocked.   I'd like to try it with my SnS.   I didn't have it back then.   A couple questions:

Is a smaller chicken better?  What size?
Is a brine or rub better on something like this?

thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: SnS Rotiserrie Chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:01:05 AM »
Tying takes a little practice, and I'm no expert but getting better. Use a helper if that helps, but all I do now is pre-cut strips of string, tie, snip off excess. Tie a bit tighter than you think "you should have to do" so that it doesn't slip apart.

I've never brined; can't answer. I just put some rub seasoning on and go. It's my favorite way to cook whole birds. You can do two at once and see which way is better on the rotisserie. Can't imagine the size of bird should matter, and I never seem to have a choice in stores anyway.

Give it plenty of heat and just let it go. Stop the spinning at about 45 minutes and check bird temp to see how close you're getting.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:57 AM »
Ditto @cnmg432 @addicted-to-smoke started using my roti a few months back, no better way to do a whole bird
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

relayer61

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:57:14 AM »
Brine that chicken!  You won't be disappointed.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
Brining always produces great results for me.  I don't tell people before I serve up the bird that it has been brined, so as not to put bias into their feedback..... and there is no doubt that when I brine (wet brine) people give me much more enthusiastic and positive feedback compared to when I don't brine.  Brined/ rotisserie chicken = awesome.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
SnS Rotiserrie Chicken
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »
I have brined for beer can chickens but don’t bother for rotisserie chickens.
@addicted-to-smoke does the same as I do!
Plan for 1 hour.. check temp at 45mins!

Size does not matter.. you are cooking to 165f temp. Bigger bird cooks longer. I also cook turkeys and ducks on the rotisserie!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:46:55 AM by vwengguy »

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:00:04 AM »
I have brined for beer can chickens but don’t bother for rotisserie chickens.
@addicted-to-smoke does the same as I do!
Plan for 1 hour.. check temp at 45mins!

Size does not matter.. you are cooking to 165f temp. Bigger bird cooks longer. I also cook turkeys and ducks on the rotisserie!

Wow! looks like your using a slow n sear also with your roti.   How many coals do you start off with?  I need to research this again and see how to do this I guess.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
SnS Rotiserrie Chicken
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
I use about 3/4 chimney ... good and hot! When I am done I close the vents and reuse the coals later. But the goal is good and hot gives nice crispy skin!
Add your favorite chicken rub and away you go!

I always prep the bird by using my fingers to get up under the skin (top & bottom on breasts and on the back by the thighs) and get a little butter in there and try your best to get rub or favorite seasoning in there. This helps get the rub into the meat and just not on the skin alone! The butter helps also and gives flavor!
Rub on the inside also!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:27:55 AM by vwengguy »

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »
Awesome!  I'll try that.  Do you try to maintain a certain temperature and how long does one chicken take you?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
Awesome!  I'll try that.  Do you try to maintain a certain temperature and how long does one chicken take you?

The lit charcoal amount as described, using a roti, vents open, “takes care of” the cooker’s temp sufficiently. It’ll be somewhere between 300-375 most likely, and slowly go lower.

Doesn’t matter; many things cook well under a variety of temps. Just watch your bird temp, as already mentioned.

And quite frankly, the rotisserie is the secret. Spinning, and at that distance from heat, circulates the juices and the heat automagically. You just supply the fuel and the air and go.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »
All vents open! Let the fire rage !
I use a 1.2-1.5kg chicken and it’s almost always done in 1 hour.
Your instant read thermometer is your best friend here, and every cook!
Measure deep in the breast or thigh and shoot for 160f to pull the chicken off the kettle and it will rest as you take it off the spit. End temp should be 165f or just higher.
Watch out for the spit rod!! That rod and the spit forks are going to be insane HOT! Be careful when you take it off!

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 04:54:36 PM »
Ok, here's a report on how it went.   I seasoned the chicken well with brazilian seasoning and put a half stick of butter inside.   I used 3/4 chimney full and let it run hot with vents open.   It ran about 425 most of the time.  It was done in a hour.  I have a couple questions though.   I ran the breast meat up to 163 and the leg was about 184 using Thermopop and I took it off.   The dark meat was awesome, however the breast meat didn't seem quite done and it was a bit bland.   I think next time I will leave it on a bit longer.   What is the secret to getting the breast meat to have flavor?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:18:01 PM by cnmg432 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »
Good question and I don't have the answer. Change up the seasoning? Baste it as it nears done? Sounds like your temps are spot-on.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 05:32:05 PM »
Ok, here's a report on how it went.   I seasoned the chicken well with brazilian seasoning and put a half stick of butter inside.   I used 3/4 chimney full and let it run hot with vents open.   It ran about 425 most of the time.  It was done in a hour.  I have a couple questions though.   I ran the breast meat up to 163 and the leg was about 184 using Thermopop and I took it off.   The dark meat was awesome, however the breast meat didn't seem quite done and it was a bit bland.   I think next time I will leave it on a bit longer.   What is the secret to getting the breast meat to have flavor?
What is the secret to getting the breast meat to have flavor?....

I said it before and I'll say it again....brine the chicken.

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
What is the secret to getting the breast meat to have flavor?....

I said it before and I'll say it again....brine the chicken.

I'll try that next time.   Just not used to brining a whole chicken.