Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SnS Rotiserrie Chicken  (Read 1875 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: SnS Rotiserrie Chicken
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 06:13:00 PM »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 07:04:22 PM »
Ok, here's a report on how it went.   I seasoned the chicken well with brazilian seasoning and put a half stick of butter inside.   I used 3/4 chimney full and let it run hot with vents open.   It ran about 425 most of the time.  It was done in a hour.  I have a couple questions though.   I ran the breast meat up to 163 and the leg was about 184 using Thermopop and I took it off.   The dark meat was awesome, however the breast meat didn't seem quite done and it was a bit bland.   I think next time I will leave it on a bit longer.   What is the secret to getting the breast meat to have flavor?
What is the secret to getting the breast meat to have flavor?....

I said it before and I'll say it again....brine the chicken.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I'll try that next time.   Just not used to brining a whole chicken.
I have the Briner....but for years I used Ziploc Heavy Duty XL bags...use those and if you like the results then get the Briner, which makes life easier.

Simple brine works great.  For each qt of water use 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar.

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 03:19:48 AM »
Ok, here's a report on how it went.   I seasoned the chicken well with brazilian seasoning and put a half stick of butter inside.   I used 3/4 chimney full and let it run hot with vents open.   It ran about 425 most of the time.  It was done in a hour.  I have a couple questions though.   I ran the breast meat up to 163 and the leg was about 184 using Thermopop and I took it off.   The dark meat was awesome, however the breast meat didn't seem quite done and it was a bit bland.   I think next time I will leave it on a bit longer.   What is the secret to getting the breast meat to have flavor?
What is the secret to getting the breast meat to have flavor?....

I said it before and I'll say it again....brine the chicken.

I'll try that next time.   Just not used to brining a whole chicken.
I have the Briner....but for years I used Ziploc Heavy Duty XL bags...use those and if you like the results then get the Briner, which makes life easier.

Simple brine works great.  For each qt of water use 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar.

How long do you brine the chicken?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
SnS Rotiserrie Chicken
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 04:15:35 AM »
It sounds like you cooked it to the perfect internal.

I haven’t tried brining but juicy breast meat is all I require to be happy.

I’m too cheap and too impatient for brining. It would get expensive using all that salt and sugar for brines.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 05:12:35 AM »
I assume you put some butter UNDER the skin.. did you get seasoning under the skin also? That helps a lot! Also dump a bunch inside and that runs around in the juice.
Total butter I use is only about 2 table spoons.. you don’t need much because it’s going to melt fast and work around under the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 05:20:55 AM »
@cnmg432 , I usually brine for about 3 hrs or so.....its supposed to be an hr per pound, but i have never used that formula....3 hrs for a whole chicken works fine for me.

@HoosierKettle , I am cheap too, but a box of mortons kosher is $2.50, brown sugar is another couple of bucks and change...you'd get at least 6 brining  sessions......so that adds about .90 cents per cook to the cost.  Not expensive. 

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 05:24:44 AM »

@cnmg432 , I usually brine for about 3 hrs or so.....its supposed to be an hr per pound, but i have never used that formula....3 hrs for a whole chicken works fine for me.

@HoosierKettle , I am cheap too, but a box of mortons kosher is $2.50, brown sugar is another couple of bucks and change...you'd get at least 6 brining  sessions......so that adds about .90 cents per cook to the cost.  Not expensive.

How dare you come at me with facts. [emoji3]

I guess it’s not expensive. I have been meaning to try it. I’ve been so happy with the chicken I’ve been making on the wsm that I haven’t thought to try it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 05:29:02 AM »
I may look into those XL bags and try it if it'll hold a whole bird. It's not gonna be a "total soak," like shoving it into a briner bucket, but might give me a taste (so to speak) of its benefits as @cnmg432 says.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 06:00:17 AM »

How dare you come at me with facts. [emoji3]

@HoosierKettle thanks for giving me some morning laughter!  @addicted-to-smoke , the XL Ziplocs are 10 gallon bags.  More than big enough for a whole chicken.  They also make Jumbo...20 gallon bags....I use to brine my Thanksgiving turkeys in them (the XLs) too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:07:03 AM by Foster Dahlet »