Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which Wok?  (Read 1072 times)

Normal_J_Bird

• WKC Brave
Which Wok?
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »
I am exploring the option of adding a wok to my line up, looking for input. I am planning on something in current production. I know the vintage woks are awesome, but have not been able to find one. So grilling brothers talk to me about the GBS wok vs the SS wok that sits on top of the grate vs ....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Which Wok?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 01:24:48 PM »
Many woks do not have a small, flat bottom center, which I don’t understand. I also want high sides. Otherwise, just get a discada, right?

I have the GBS grate but instead of Weber’s cast iron wok I’m more interested in one that’s carbon steel. I’ve bought nothing however, because I probably would not use it enough to keep it properly oiled and away from dust.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 02:58:14 AM »
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 04:44:51 AM »
^^ Me too, but it’s not a wok.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Which Wok?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 05:37:37 AM »
This is the real deal.   By far the best wok I've ever owned.  I doubt you'll ever find something better.  Can also be found at  most Asian restaurant supply stores.   For a 16" wok, it cost about 5 times more than the standard Asian high carbon wok but you get what you pay for.  This also fits perfectly on the gbs. 

M.V. Trading JPIW39 Japanese Iron Pow Wok Heavy Duty Iron with Commercial Grade Handle, 39cm (15.35-Inches) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6A5Q5M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CvvdBbYSF47D2
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:09:03 AM by Jules V. »

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 03:21:35 PM »
I love my discada!  I also covet a nice wok though.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »
^^ Me too, but it’s not a wok.

It is...And it works for me...Or is that "woks for me"...

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 05:04:53 PM »
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/2695/asian-woks-wok-covers-and-wok-rings.html

These guys have crazy good pricing on Asian cutlery too.

2mnygrills

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 04:49:26 AM »
I purchased this a couple of years ago and it works grate for me.  It is the same size as the original Weber wok at 24 inches. I just set it on the Stok cast iron grate with the center removed and it holds it fine.  It should work on the Weber gourmet grate too.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/town-34724-24-hand-hammered-cantonese-wok/88534724.html

If I had it to do over I might get one thats a little smaller.  It can be difficult to handle and storage might be a concern.