Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wanna’ play a game called “Just the Tip”? ;)  (Read 1104 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Wanna’ play a game called “Just the Tip”? ;)
« on: May 27, 2018, 01:11:24 PM »
For Memorial Day, I’m throwing a brisket point on the mini WSM tonight. This is actually one of those pre-wrapped cuts they sell around St. Patty’s Day to do corned beef. I used a similarly packaged flat cut to make pastrami, and since they were so cheap, I grabbed a point and froze it with the intention of doing some burnt ends at some point.

I’ve done plenty of flats & whole packers, both together & separated, but I’ve never done just the deckle by itself. I soaked it for a couple hours changing the water several times to try and pull as much of the brine out as possible, then rubbed with Montreal (I know, I’m feeling lazy today) then wrapped with Saran Wrap and back into the fridge for a few hours. I’m assuming it won’t take as long as a whole packer or even just a flat would at 225, so I’m planning on putting it on around midnight tonight. Maybe 10-12 hours I’m guessing, but I left myself a big window before dinner.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

-Jed
-Jed

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
Re: Wanna’ play a game called “Just the Tip”? ;)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 02:32:14 PM »
I’ve smoked them. I can’t really give too much advice because I can’t remember shit about it and when I looked through my old posts to refresh my memory, it seems it was an ‘everything that can go wrong will’ kind of cook. So my best advice would probably have a lot of “here’s what you don’t want to do” in it. Lol

That said, even though it was all going to Hell in a handbasket, it turned out ok. If you end up with something less than thrilling I can tell you that there isn’t much the application of a slow cooker, some beer, mushrooms and onions and a fresh bag of rolls and some Swiss cheese can’t cure. Heck, you could put cardboard in the middle of all that and still have something better than what they serve in my work cafeteria in a daily basis. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
Ha! Thanks @CarrieAnn. I hear ya’ on the “everything that can go wrong will“ kinda’ cook. I’ve had plenty of those, especially with ribs for some reason. I like the sound of that slow cooker slop you were recommending. I’ll keep that in mind from now on as a backup.  :)

-Jed
-Jed

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »
Smoked through the night at 200-225 to 150 internal temp, then foil wrapped and in a 250 oven ‘til to 204 deg. at which point it passed the “like warm butter” probe test. Sliced & cubed, skimmed fat off of drippings to mix back in with a little sauce & pop back in the oven for another hour or so to get that dark color & a little crunch.  On a hoagie roll with a little more sauce. I think Arthur Bryant would have finished his. :) We had to scramble for sides, so a few green beans & a salad had to do.

-Jed
-Jed

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 05:43:55 AM »
Looks awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 06:19:27 PM »
Ha! I knew I could count on you, @randy. Where the hell are @Darko & @Hell Fire Grill with something borderline inappropriate to say? C’mon guys, you’re slipping. [emoji12]

-Jed
-Jed

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 11:39:25 AM »
That looks great.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28:08 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »
5 bucks for just the tip! 15 bucks all in!!!!

How's that?

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »

5 bucks for just the tip! 15 bucks all in!!!!

How's that?

Sounds expensive. You must be talking in Canadian dollars.

-Jed
-Jed

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »
Not canadian bucks, but it is dipped in maple syrup!!!!!!