Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Legs?  (Read 4454 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: SS Legs?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 07:46:35 AM »
Jules what did you do to accommodate the lug inside the leg sockets?
The rod  outside diameter is just slightly smaller  than the inside diameter of the sockets, which turned out to be a good thing. The rod is a bit loose but it wouldn't go past the lug so i placed the end of the rod in a table vise  and squeezed it to make it slightly out of round for it to go past the lug. Unlike the standard aluminum legs which has a very thin wall, the ss rod i used has a much thicker  16 gauge wall and therefore considerably stiffer. How much you make the rod out of round determine how snug it would fit inside the socket.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
SS Legs?
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
Just have to restore the handles, otherwise F code redhead is complete. Probably one of the most sturdy 22.5" kettle legs/triangle around.

Threaded rod keeps the  tiangle  and legs from sliding laterally.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:43:18 AM by Jules V. »

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 12:36:38 PM »
How did you did you mount the ash ring? I have a red "F" code also, and the leg sockets are not positioned for the top slot, so the ash ring (90 degree) tab tip can slide into it. 

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
SS Legs?
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »
How did you did you mount the ash ring? I have a red "F" code also, and the leg sockets are not positioned for the top slot, so the ash ring (90 degree) tab tip can slide into it.
The 2 socket slots on the top of the photo lined up perfectly. The bottom was off by about 3/16" so i trimmed a portion of the ring tab to make it fit. One thing about the newer style of rings are that they fit much more snug on the sockets as evident on the second photo. I can  basically carry the kettle around just by grabbing the ash ring.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »
How come you get all the luck? I just checked mine, and only one leg socket slot lines up for the ring tab to slide into. I'll have to wait patiently, until you score up some more SSP's and mod them, so you can sell

me the unused older style ash catchers with the mounting bars from your newly accumulated Weber SSP parts boneyard.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
How come you get all the luck? I just checked mine, and only one leg socket slot lines up for the ring tab to slide into.
Don't know about getting all the luck. Probably just manufacturing discrepancies. I was trying to install a 2010 and a 2008 bowls on the double ssp few weeks ago and both lid bales were off- centered. The lid bale holes were 1/2" closer to the front mounting brackets so i ended up using different bowls instead.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 01:39:38 AM »
I feel so inadequate as a man when I see you guys that can fabricate stuff like this.

Very impressive @Jules V.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 09:25:05 PM »
I feel so inadequate as a man when I see you guys that can fabricate stuff like this.

Very impressive @Jules V.
Actually the fabrication portion is usually the easy part.  Conceptualizing the final product tend to be more challenging  especially if you rely on re-purposed/recycled materials.

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 06:09:49 AM »
Somewhere, someone is up a creek without that.
That would be the legs for my redhead. 16 gauge ss pipe. Designed to be interchangeable for 6" or 8" wheels.  Shower curtain rods are for shower curtains.
What's wrong with shower curtain rods? This one was assembled BN out of the box and made into a tall boy. The DT code has held up for 15 years
and I just sold it last week. Extension was free and I only used 1 rod . Height is 36'' @kettle rim, just enough room to store firebricks and chimney.
][URL=

[URL=http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Da-Poorfolks/media/P1010011_zpsr8cxphxz.jpg.html]

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:12:20 AM by Poorfolks »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 01:15:22 PM »
I'm sure curtain rod are adequate for the majority  but for me and  some other members, we want a more substantial alternative. The legs  and pan that came with the kettle are in excellent shape but i decided to  preserve it for its future owner.