Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time posting pron pics.  (Read 7292 times)

Sticky Fingers

• Smokey Joe
First time posting pron pics.
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »
Since I'm new, thought I'd share what I've been up to...,
Monday 5/20: chicken breasts and veggies w steamed corn. Chicken was low n slow on 2nd-4th generation coals smoke was almond shells. Brined em for a bit the day before. Moisture was just water and soy sauce. Brushed a few times w olive oil n spices.

Mother's Day Boston butt. 16hrs
Black specs are smoked garlic that got a little over done.

Last week thighs and taters. W veggies

Hot n quick NY strip w veggies

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Re: First time posting pron pics.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:35:37 PM »
Dang, you're gonna fit right in here!

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:51:22 AM »
 I wouldn't push up from that table for at least a half hour! :)
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:47:12 AM »
Looks great! And so does that model of grill! I love my Platinum.  Very nice looking spread of food.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Sticky Fingers

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:00:06 AM »
Looks great! And so does that model of grill! I love my Platinum.  Very nice looking spread of food.
Thank you. Put some wings in basically homemade Italian dressing last night for this eves cook. Wife is making bluegill chowder to make the meal extra healthy. :)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »
Thats alot of good looking food you made!  16 hr cook, wow.  Did you get a nap in between?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Sticky Fingers

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 10:19:42 AM »
Thats alot of good looking food you made!  16 hr cook, wow.  Did you get a nap in between?

It was my first overnight cook. Didn't know what the hell I was doing but turned out very nice. I got up a few times during the night to tend to the coals.  Tried to keep at 250-270 but dropped to 200 or so once and almost got away to 300 + for a min but got it back. Took about 14.5 hrs to get to temp then I threw it in a cooler for remainder. Fun but a bit stressful for a rookie.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »

It was my first overnight cook. Didn't know what the hell I was doing but turned out very nice. I got up a few times during the night to tend to the coals.  Tried to keep at 250-270 but dropped to 200 or so once and almost got away to 300 + for a min but got it back. Took about 14.5 hrs to get to temp then I threw it in a cooler for remainder. Fun but a bit stressful for a rookie.

Long overnite cooks are probably the easiest to get the hang of......take the least amount of practice.......keep at it & ENJOY !!!!!

PS: Looks pretty dang good from over here !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »
Pork Butt is a good first long cook subject. It's pretty tolerant of a range of temperatures so you will not spoil it if temperatures go a little high or low at some point. Glad to hear it came out good.

Did you add charcoal during the cook or use something like the ring of fire techniques? I did spare ribs on my son's kettle and used one charcoal basket. I had to add charcoal about every hour to keep it going.
kettles, smokers...

Sticky Fingers

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 03:47:06 AM »
Pork Butt is a good first long cook subject. It's pretty tolerant of a range of temperatures so you will not spoil it if temperatures go a little high or low at some point. Glad to hear it came out good.

Did you add charcoal during the cook or use something like the ring of fire techniques? I did spare ribs on my son's kettle and used one charcoal basket. I had to add charcoal about every hour to keep it going.

It was definitely a learning experience.
I started w 2 baskets unlit w extra coals between them then added a few hot coals to the outer unlit ones. Was working well until the inner basket lit and got too hot. I removed the basket in a 3am panic, started some more in a chimney and just kept adding as I went  I'm sure I looked like an idiot scrambling around. Didn't tell the family who were eating their fingers and groaning that I was a mess the whole time.
 Half asleep note lid on ground panic light. :) I did keep notes the entire time, next one should go smoother.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 05:15:17 AM »

Sticky......just try to relax & have fun with it.....very worst case is you order out some pizza.... :D

I just stuck this up ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/re-print-ok-what's-in-kettle-3/

This also has some info on the above cookup & some other info & photos that explain it, too.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-beef-recipes/something-different/

Maybe ditch the baskets & use the force, Luke...........

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
It all looks good! 8)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »

PS: Forgot to add.....not only does the food look good, but I like how you set up your photos !!!!