Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Questions on CI grates  (Read 3019 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Questions on CI grates
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
Just wondering if anyone with CI grates uses them when cooking Low & Slow?
Does the heat of the grates effect the meat when cooking L & S?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

jacoblee

• WKC Brave
    • FOCUS North America (Orange County Office)
Re: Questions on CI grates
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »
My kamado has ci grates I use it for low and slow all the time. No issues at all.  I believe it will help hold the temp better. Which could be a issue if you overshoot your temp.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »
I have and I agree with Jacob.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
So you don't switch out the CI for the standard grate when cooking L&S?
I've been thinking about buying the char broil CI grates and I was just trying to work out how versatile they are
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:21:26 AM »
I always use my Craycorts for every kind of cook except for when I use the Rotisserie, I think the only effect that cast iron will have is that they retain heat better than wire grates. Since you are not looking for sear marks when doing low and slow there is no advantage or disadvantage as far as I can tell. I think that using a water pan is much more important in keeping a constant low temp than the kind of grates.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:18 AM »
Low and slow more often than not means I use one of the WSMs which is not fited for CI grates.   

If I am doing Low and Slow (banked coals method) on a kettle, I do NOT use my Char Broil CI grates.  Here is why:

1) There is minimal if any 'heat renetion value' IMO.  If you were to try to quantify it, I would say it is something like 6 briqs worth.  Does it matter that much?

2) Low and slow is ever so slightly more messy, and would leave debris on my CI grates which would have to be cleaned off.  When using CI for high heat, it is pretty easy to give it a nominal brush at the end, letting the heat take care of the work.

3) Most importantly .... No access to the fuel when using my CB CI grates once the meat is on.  With the flip up metal grates, in the event I need to manipulate fuel, I can use the flip up grate access.

Of those, number three is by far the reason I do not use CI for low and slow.  It is easy to have a door on the off chance I want to move a coal or add a chunk of wood.  Let me state, I LOVE the value of my char broil CI grate, and would recommend it in a heart beat if you can get it for whatever is a good price in AUS.  I got mine shipped fr under 25 USD which was a 'grate deal'.

YMMV and all that.....

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
heat retention, in this argument is a bit of a misnomer.

think of the cast iron like a battery.
you charge a battery by pumping electricity into it. the battery then releases that electricity at a later time

your cast iron grates consume heat energy to heat up before they can release it.

so realistically, using cast iron for low in slow will require more fuel to heat up your cooker, but then that heat will help maintain the temps.
it's very similar to a water pan (however a water pan actually consumes heat energy as well as retains and releases)

and to answer your question - if i'm low'n'slowing in one of my kettles - I will use whatever grate I have. I'd prefer the hinged grate though.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
The Craycorts allow you to add or move fuel around during long cooks,just remove one or more sections. As far as your equation of the heat retention of cast iron grates being around 6 briqs ,in a kettle grill at low temps that can be significant , when I light a fuse/banked coal setup for the 225-250 range I can get that temp with around 10 coals. Would I go out and buy cast iron grates just for low and slow? Probably not but I do everything that I can on my Weber so there is no reason to change out grates since with my current setup I can do just about every kind of cook with my griddle inserts and or rotisserie or the regular CI grates. When I first saw the Craycorts I wanted them,then I saw the price, but I love them and have never regretted getting them and have been doing 3 to 7 or more cooks a week on them since last December.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 05:53:45 AM »
OTP, the Cast Iron grates mentioned up thread of my post, and the ones I commented on are char broil's design.  Unlike the Craycoryts, you can not remove individual slices.  For this reason alone, they are not a good option for any low and slow that may require fuel manipulation.  (The charbroil design is neat however in that one grate fits both the 18 and 22 kettle.  I am really happy with the value of these)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 06:44:26 AM »
I believe that the thread was about cast iron grates and not one specific brand. As far as not being able to remove sections of the grate to add fuel, Green egg users have the same issue. If you want to add coals you have to take off the food and the grate.....another reason I use a Weber! Anyway, what I said about the heat retention still goes for any make. Cast iron will still hold heat no matter what company makes it, use of a water pan will regulate the heat more than the grates in my oppinion. For what it is worth, my Char-Griller(which I never use since I got my Weber) came with cast iron grates. I have the firebox so it is set up like a "Real" smoker and I don't think that it makes too much difference as far as the end result in a smoke session. To me the main reason that I would sell a grill of any kind as a manufacturer with cast iron grates would be the quality. The grate that came with my OTP works fine and I am sure that a stainless steel replacement works just as well but due to cost Weber could not offer a One Touch kettle for $99 if they included a grate that was more substantial . I take great care in the use and handling of my cast iron grate....I view the extra work as part of the fun of grilling and fully expect my Craycorts to last forever if I take care of them. As far as grill marks go, cast iron wins hands down but for low and slow that is not something to be concerned about and if you are getting grill marks you are doing something wrong. If you look at the Weber kettle, it is a pretty simple design that really works and does not require lots of moving parts or anything that prevents them from mass producing them and maintaining high quality.....but if there is one thing that is a weak point on them it is the grate. As has been shown on this site, a Weber kettle can last for generations but what usually needs to be replaced .......and in some cases several times ...is the grate. Why not get one that can outlast the kettle itself ? The price is a little steep up front but if you need to get a new grate every couple of years (or sooner depending on how much you grill) you might as well get 1 replacement that with care (eg. don't drop them ) will last you long enough to pass down to your Grandkids along with your then 30 or 40 year old grill you bought new in 2010.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 12:39:43 PM »
Thanks for all the responses , I think I'm going to go with the charbroil CI grates. Although I like the Craycorts, at over $150 del to OZ, its too pricey for me. Plus I like the fact that you can use your chimney with the Charbroil and only have to remove the centre section
                            WKC Collaborator