Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Paella pan, bottom line: What's the best material?  (Read 1861 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Paella pan, bottom line: What's the best material?
« on: April 25, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
Always toying with getting a 16" pan. My inclination, for performance, is to go with carbon steel ... saw two from Garcima (Made in Spain, so ya know it's the real deal?). One's affordable and the other's less so. The "restaurant" model weighs over 5lbs and the cheapie less than 3lbs.

And then there's enameled porcelain, SS, and I suppose aluminum.

I've read that the dimples help when removing the rice at the bottom, but not all pans have dimples.

As with most of my accessories, most don't see constant use, which is why I'm still considering the non-carbon steel options.

What say ye, and why? Thanks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Paella pan, bottom line: What's the best material?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:07:21 PM »
What say ye, and why? Thanks!

Pues, la paella mas fea que comi en mi vida fue en plaza mayor, madrid (muy mal hecho para las touristas). No la hagas como ellos. Es mas, aunque me gusta much la comida de madrid y andalucia, la calidad es mejor en el norte de españa.

I'd get carbon steel. We portugees make a very, very similar dish called "arroz com mariscos" which is different by one spice - just not sure which one. No clue what they use back in Portugal as far as the heating bowl. I remember my aunt just making it in a regular (large) pot over a gas stove. I would think you want something that heats as evenly as possible and the carbon steel does seem like a good choice and is likely what they use over there on the iberian peninsula.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:19:49 PM »
Yeah, and since it's an open dish, for consistent/controllable heat I'm also considering a dedicated gas setup if i can manage to not spend much on the burner/stand. I know there are wok setups sold like that. I don't see the advantage of setting this onto a charcoal grill.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 05:08:50 PM »
Yeah, and since it's an open dish, for consistent/controllable heat I'm also considering a dedicated gas setup if i can manage to not spend much on the burner/stand. I know there are wok setups sold like that. I don't see the advantage of setting this onto a charcoal grill.

I have the GBS wok so maybe i'll give it a shot with that. HA! I bet heating the wok using the gas assist and with charcoal might even be worth a shot. Definitely going to experiment with that.

Then again some of those paella setups I have seen look pretty nice and like you can do a pretty big cook.

If I asked my mother to make up a batch of the Portuguese variety, she'd probably bust out a  Le Creuset over the stove and just get 'er done.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 03:24:55 AM »
I have two carbon steel paella pans... one for my 18" kettles and one for my 22" kettles. Get the carbon steel! Just make sure after cleaning, dry it completely and wipe it down with veggy oil.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Paella pan, bottom line: What's the best material?
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 03:33:08 AM »
I have two carbon steel paella pans... one for my 18" kettles and one for my 22" kettles. Get the carbon steel! Just make sure after cleaning, dry it completely and wipe it down with veggy oil.

What size paella pans do you have?

I don’t have one yet but I would definitely get carbon steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 03:38:33 AM »
Been awhile since I bought them, not sure the sizes. I'll check when I get home.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Marbob1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 05:03:55 AM »
I have an 18 inch paella that is perfect for my 22inch kettle.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 09:25:19 AM »
I have an 18 and a 15.  Both Carbon with the dimples.  Toughest part is getting even heating when using the gas burners.  I have had the best luck on my performer. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »
Thanks Josh. Does a gas grill just heat the edges too much? What about a 3-burner gas grill?

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »
Can someone post links to one or more good carbon steel pans for a 22"?

Thanks in advance.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »
Can someone post links to one or more good carbon steel pans for a 22"?

Thanks in advance.
I just get carbon steel pans from a local store. So far I  have a 16",17" and 18".

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
Okay, I just measured  them... the big one is 17" for the 22" kettle and the smaller one is 13" for the 18" kettle. Both have dimples, carbon steel with handles. Handles tuck neatly beneath the lids. They fit the kettles perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:53:38 AM by hawgheaven »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
Get the carbon steel pans, they are cheap. Make sure you use Bomba rice.... it does make a difference. I've tried it with Arborio or Carnaroli... not great, Calrose, ok but not great.

Cheack out La Tienda, if you can't find pans locally.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »
Yes, carbon steel.  Treat it like a cast iron pan and you are good. Now I am hungry for Paella.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold