Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Greetings from Arlington Heights, ILL  (Read 393 times)

PAPPYBALL

• Happy Cooker
Greetings from Arlington Heights, ILL
« on: April 24, 2024, 01:29:56 PM »
Greetings!

Not sure how I got this far in life without registering here.  Life long Arlington Heights, IL resident. Lucky enough to live only about 1,000 feet from (and old enough to remember when it was still there) the Arlington Heights, IL factory. (now a soccer field)

When my parents moved to Arlington Heights in 1980 when I was first born one of the first things my dad did was go straight to the factory on Hickory Ave. and pick up a 22" classic kettle.  Still have it to this day.  I don't know if you could always get them directly from the factory, but he was able to get one in 1980.  Since then I have a created a small collection of kettles. I have my Dad's 1980 Kettle, a 1976 kettle (love all things from the bicentennial year) then I have a kettle from the first year production was moved from Arlington Heights, IL to Palatine, IL.  Got an older early 80's Smokey Joe, and then I have a newer Spirit for daily utility grilling.  Had a nice Genesis for about 15 years, but it bit the dust a year ago and I downsized to the Spirit, very happy with it though.

ALWAYS on the lookout for anything vintage or rare. had a few slip through my hands over the years.  Had a 70's red kettle that got lost amongst a move to and from college, very bummed about that. Had a number of occasions where I spotted a great one at the curb, by the time I circled around they were already gone.

Current grail is a Simpson's Edition kettle.

Thanks for having me aboard!

-Anthony

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
Re: Greetings from Arlington Heights, ILL
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 01:49:56 PM »
Welcome for Kalona, IA. Sounds like you have lived the Weber Life since birth. You will have to post some photos of your collection. I'm sure you will find more great curb finds in the Chicago area. Good Luck!
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 01:56:24 PM »
Welcome from east coast, northern VA interesting relation to Weber!   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 04:59:04 PM »
Awesome story!  Welcome from Plainfield Indiana!  Born and raised in Elmhurst, Illinois.  My grandmother lived in Arlington Heights for about 30 years before she passed.   I’ve been to park by the old factory site several times. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 06:14:02 PM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 03:29:34 AM »
Welcome from Doraville, GA
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 04:56:27 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, AL!  Anthony, I love the back story, sounds like you are no stranger to the wonderful Weber kettle.  Would love to see pics of your grills soon.  Have fun!