Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restart a Pork Butt Cook  (Read 2262 times)

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
Restart a Pork Butt Cook
« on: April 22, 2018, 04:54:33 AM »
I slow cooked a pork butt roast on the Weber kettle yesterday for pulled pork today but ran out of time around 11pm the meat internal temp was somewhere around 135 degrees. Took it off wrapped it in foil and put it in the fridge overnight. Question is can i further cook it to the needed temp or should i toss it in the trash.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Restart a Pork Butt Cook
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:00:51 AM »
Oh that’d be a tough situation cuz you don’t wanna overtook the outside before bringing the inside up to temp.
I would maybe try cutting the butt in half, turning it inside out and then cooking it. Maybe that’ll even out the cooking process and you’ll end up with more bark!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 05:01:26 AM »
Disclaimer (I’m not sure)

But I would think it would be fine. I wouldn’t bother finishing it on a kettle. Instead, I’d put it in a 250 degree oven wrapped and in a pan to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:06:59 AM »
I'm no expert at food safety, but I would probably toss it.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to the possibility of making yourself or others sick.
Pork butt isn't that expensive to replace.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 05:15:27 AM »
Oh ya i also wouldn't bother with the Kettle it was already on for 8 hours in the kettle. I'm  more worried about food poisoning. It was a $20 roast and i could chalk it up to experience.
 Thanks for the response.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:17:28 AM »
Oh yeah. Food poisoning. Forgot about that lil guy

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Restart a Pork Butt Cook
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 05:25:56 AM »
I would toss it if it took 8 hours to get to 135. Try increasing your kettle temp next time.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Restart a Pork Butt Cook
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 05:30:17 AM »
Disclaimer (I’m not sure)

But I would think it would be fine. I wouldn’t bother finishing it on a kettle. Instead, I’d put it in a 250 degree oven wrapped and in a pan to finish.

Great answer, but I can also agree with the other side as well. They are cheap and the shits will put you out for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:32:19 AM by Travis »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 05:33:27 AM »
FUCK food poisoning it's got salt & smoke all over it....wrap it in foil and finish cooking it one way or the other.

Next time set up a snake and go to bed with an alarm set for your estimated finish time.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 06:29:18 AM »
Food poisoning is the best diet plan, much faster than Adkins or south beach

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
As long as it didnt hover in the danger zone for an excessive amount of time it'll be fine.

More than likely it was enhanced with a solution (sodium chloride and/or a nitrite), covered in a salty rub and standing in smoke for several hours. With all those preservatives you can way over shoot any food lab's time line recommendation. 

But the USDA web site wont tell you that...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »
I would toss it if it took 8 hours to get to 135. Try increasing your kettle temp next time.

I would throw it away also. The rule is 4 hours to hit 140. And how long did it sit in the refrigerator cooling down below 40.

I for sure wouldn't feed it to my kids or anyone else if I was going to attempt to eat it.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:12:23 AM »
The danger zone recommendation applies to holding & cooling, it doesn't and never did apply to cooking.

As long as the meat is in the cooking vessel and continuously cooking (gaining temperature) there is no recommendation, rule, restriction on cooking time.

The USDA web site dont tell you that either...

The only recommendation for roasting/cooking is to use an oven @ 325, based on the probability of avoiding the danger zone for longer than the 2 hours recommended, not 4 hours (anymore).

Sous vide anyone?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 04:56:22 AM »
I understand this particular circumstance "is resolved" now, but let's say you continued cooking but were concerned about the outside getting done too fast relative to the inside.

Could you:
Get oven up to proper temp, microwave for a few minutes, then put it in the oven?

The insides would get brought up faster than the outside, in the nuker, so that there's more of a balance by the time it hits the oven.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 05:46:15 AM »
You could do that...

Personally Id just wrap it in foil & finish it. The steam should help re-heat it quick enough.