Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restart a Pork Butt Cook  (Read 2263 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Restart a Pork Butt Cook
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »
I understand this particular circumstance "is resolved" now, but let's say you continued cooking but were concerned about the outside getting done too fast relative to the inside.

Could you:
Get oven up to proper temp, microwave for a few minutes, then put it in the oven?

The insides would get brought up faster than the outside, in the nuker, so that there's more of a balance by the time it hits the oven.

@addicted-to-smoke , I see that you are still under this illusion that has been propagated since the birth of the MO …

http://www.culinarylore.com/food-science:do-microwaves-cook-from-the-inside-out
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 09:12:15 AM »
MacEggs, myth-busting with actual SCIENCE? Say it ain't so ...

;)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »
The original poster is suffering from FUD. Fear uncertainty and doubt. Once that sets in, you must discard the food because it won’t be enjoyable no matter where the truth lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 12:00:19 PM »
Toss it. And next time, jack your cooker temps up to 250-275. Make sure your temp gauges are accurate. Start the cook early in the morning. Fuck sleep. Monitor it all day.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:13:09 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
It was a whole muscle. There were no nasty bits inside the meat. They would have been on the outside, and the cook temps were over 200 degrees. All the nasties were long dead.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
It was a whole muscle. There were no nasty bits inside the meat. They would have been on the outside, and the cook temps were over 200 degrees. All the nasties were long dead.

There was a probe inserted into the meat at least 1 time. When and how many times was it probed during the 8 hours it took to get to 135*F.

Was it injected before the cook? All of that poking could have put the "nasties" inside.

How hot was the cook during the 8 hours? Did it drop way low for awhile?

Nasties grow between 40*F and 140*F

Be safe, a cheap piece of meat is not worth getting sick or death in rare situations.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 05:29:52 AM »
To give some perspective, I smoked a pork butt over the weekend that was 50% frozen. Average cook temp was 275 and it was 10#. At 5 hours it was at 145. Wrapped and 198 internal at 7 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 06:48:28 AM »

Oh ya i also wouldn't bother with the Kettle it was already on for 8 hours in the kettle. I'm  more worried about food poisoning. It was a $20 roast and i could chalk it up to experience.
 Thanks for the response.

Well it's been 4 days since you posted.  Which way did you go? Did you throw it away or throw it up?  (lol)  We need an end to this story.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:50:14 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »

There was a probe inserted into the meat at least 1 time. When and how many times was it probed during the 8 hours it took to get to 135*F.

Was it injected before the cook? All of that poking could have put the "nasties" inside.

How hot was the cook during the 8 hours? Did it drop way low for awhile?

Nasties grow between 40*F and 140*F

Be safe, a cheap piece of meat is not worth getting sick or death in rare situations.
A lot of good questions there, that we don't know the answers to.

I was replying only based on my experience and methods. I don't inject butt and I don't probe until at least 4hrs or so into the cook. As far as the nasties, it doesn't take very long for the surface of the meat to heat up to grill temp, which is way beyond any temp that will kill bacteria almost instantly.

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »

Oh ya i also wouldn't bother with the Kettle it was already on for 8 hours in the kettle. I'm  more worried about food poisoning. It was a $20 roast and i could chalk it up to experience.
 Thanks for the response.

Well it's been 4 days since you posted.  Which way did you go? Did you throw it away or throw it up?  (lol)  We need an end to this story.
Well we ate it but for some reason i didn't enjoy it much. Guess in the back of my mind i was thing about food poisoning.