Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Grates - Adrenaline or Killa Grilla?  (Read 4438 times)

KnuckleHead

• Happy Cooker
SS Grates - Adrenaline or Killa Grilla?
« on: April 20, 2018, 05:02:32 AM »
Howdy. I am looking to get a stainless steel grate for my first Weber resurrection and I am on the fence between the ABC grate and the Killa Grilla grate. Anyone here have experience with both and prefer one over the other? My apologies if this has been addressed before, but I could not find a thread that explicitly compared/contrasted them.

I like the stout 0.25" wire in the KillaGrilla construction - heavier gauge means greater durability in my mind. However, the ABC grate offers easy spin - rotating grate without handle welds catching tabs - and has less grate gap at the handles. As far as price, the ABC would end up coming in a little cheaper, but not enough to drive the choice for me.

Honestly, I am not yet experienced enough to know which would serve me better in the long run. Any tips or opinions are appreciated.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: SS Grates - Adrenaline or Killa Grilla?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 06:03:49 AM »
ABC.

The killa have wires that are thicker and burn bigger black stripes in your food.

I have killa charcoal grate and it is fine.

I’d take the Weber SS or abc SS over killa any day, based on the size of the wire.   

Both are quality construction.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:09:19 AM by ClubChapin »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »
I have all three of the SS grates.  Weber, Killa Grilla and ABC easy spin.  I prefer and like the look of the Killa Grilla grates.  As ClubChapin stated above, they do leave larger grill marks on your food.  I actually like the larger grill marks.  With Killa Gilla using larger diameter rods and larger spacing between the rods, it equates to less rods. IMO, less rods and larger spacing makes them easier to clean.  Weber uses the same larger diameter SS rods on their top of the line Summit Series gas grills.  So does Viking, Lynx and Blaze on their gas grills.  Got to be a reason for it.

Here is a rod count per grate of each of the SS grates I have:

Killa Grilla  - 25

ABC           -35 

Weber       -34

The Killa Grilla grate handles are positioned such that they spin just like the ABC grate. If you are going to be doing a lot of cold grate cooking, the ABC grates are easier to spin or turn when hot than the much heavier Killa Grilla grates.   As of this posting, ABC does not offer a two door hinged SS grate. Their grate is designed to be used with the ABC Slow 'n Sear. Something to keep in mind if you like to cook indirect with your food in the middle  with coals on both sides. This requires you to spin the grate to add briquettes on longer cooks.

Here is my review of the Killa Grilla grates:    http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/product-reviews/killagrilla-heavy-duty-flip-up-grates-(304-ss)/   

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:01:34 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:33:57 AM »
I’ve got the ABC grate because I use a SNS and the hinged area allows for total access of the SNS basket. The flip grate is also easily removable so you can pile coals into the basket above grate level if you are doing longer cooks. I wouldn’t worry about durability for any of them. It’s very easy to spin and I don’t have a need for two sides to flip up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 09:50:30 AM »
I had a weird interaction with ABC. I asked them what the diameter of the rods were and how big the gaps were and they refused to tell me.

Instead they told me my question was wrong and that they gave me all of the information on their website to make a good decision.

I don’t know why the rod gap and rod thickness are a secret but it left me suspicious and I ordered a KillaGrilla instead.

KnuckleHead

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »
Thanks for the insights. Both products have their merits, for sure.

@Cellar2ful Great info and wonderful review. KillaGrilla should have you on their holiday card list.

@ZebraZoo That IS weird. I think I would have taken my business elsewhere too.

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 12:05:11 PM »
@KnuckleHead I know right? Looking at it, I think the ABC grill would probably been better for my primary use case: chicken wings.

However, I didn’t want to buy it and not know if it would work for me. Mark at KillaGrilla was super easy to work with and happy to answer my questions. I’m looking forward to get my KillaGrilla grate. I got the version that has a single hinge towards the middle. I don’t ever plan on using a slow n sear but I thought that’d be more convenient.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 03:49:27 AM »
i have weber oem ss grates and they work for me.

im on the side of the fence that wants more surface area exposed to the coals..

imo grill marks are burn food areas...im looking for dark sear.

weber oem has flip up grates for accessing firepit and moving heat zones around if you use basket

they are all good choices pending how you like to cook.
Grills

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »
After reading this I started thinking about finding a SS cooking grate for a Charcoal go anywhere. I found some confusing info online and I am not sure if I trust it. Does anyone know for sure if Weber part number 70211 or 3634 are actually stainless steel? According to Amazon Walmart and a few other sites they are. Has anyone purchased or used one of these?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:00:25 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 11:23:26 AM »
I just called Weber and asked if they made a replacement SS grate for the go anywhere. I was told they do not. I also asked if they made a SS grate for the 22" or the 18" and was told they do not, only plated steel.
I am going to stop at the factory store and ask my question there rather then call back and talk to another rep. I will bring the part #s with me.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »
I just called Weber and asked if they made a replacement SS grate for the go anywhere. I was told they do not. I also asked if they made a SS grate for the 22" or the 18" and was told they do not, only plated steel.
I am going to stop at the factory store and ask my question there rather then call back and talk to another rep. I will bring the part #s with me.

They absolutely do make an SS grate for the 22". I've ordered it from them before. Part number 80728.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 06:22:27 PM »
And as Cellar2ful said, they also have an SS grate for the 18.5"

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/member-sales-trades/weber-7434-18-5'-hinged-stainless-steel-cooking-grate!!!/msg370129/#new

The info regarding a Weber-branded SS grate for the Go AnyWhere machines seems suspect, inconsistent at best.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
I got confirmation that the SS 18 and 22 grates exist and the Weber branded GA SS grate does not. Was told they don't market the 18 and 22 here. Only in Europe.

One other question, I recently picked up an H code18. The grill was filthy inside and out. After cleanup, the sweeps, charcoal grate and cooking grate are completely rust free. We're they all stainless steel back then?
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 03:55:28 AM »
I’ve never heard of those being SS on something like that. Some of the 22’s from the 2000s has SS sweeps of course.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

socal-griller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 11:43:15 PM »
Rod diameter for ABC grates for Weber kettles is ~4mm or 0.16”. Rod spacing is ~10mm. Both are equivalent to standard Weber cooking grate specifications. To me, the primary advantage of the KG is ease of cleanup (as previously mentioned). The primary advantage of the ABC is the removable hinge section: Leave it off for slow and low. Spin the grate 1/4 turn, install the hinged section, spin back 1/4 turn over the charcoal basket for cold grate searing. Post-cook cleanup can then be focused on the hinged section as that is where carbonization will occur. Mark over at KG has indication no plans to produce a product with removable hinge sections. KG hinges are currently rolled and TIG welded to secure them.

ABC to the left and KG to the right...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:44:31 PM by socal-griller »