Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?  (Read 1548 times)

abett

• Smokey Joe
Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?
« on: April 20, 2018, 02:34:58 AM »
Please give some advice.  I am making a 5 to 6 lb pork roast (no bone) and am unsure whether to smoke low and slow or rotisserie on a Weber gasser.  Either way I will probably use a dry rub and then finish with original Blues Hog which I have never used.

What do you think?  Hoping for good advice without automatically picking the WSM for use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Re: Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:55:11 AM »
For a roast, I think that a rotisserie is better. A pork tenderloin doesn’t have much of fat and collagen that would need time to low and slow cook.

abett

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 04:04:05 AM »
Thank you for the reply. It is not a pork tenderloin. There is some fat on it. It is in between a pork tenderloin and a pork shoulder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Should I Rotisserie or Smoke?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:46:51 AM »
Is it a pork loin?  Either way would turn out good. If it’s a pork loin, you could do indirect at medium heat on a kettle too. I’d probably lean more towards roti but they always turn out good either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »
The last couple of pork loin roasts that I've done have been on the roti with the SnS and they've turned out pretty d@mn good. 

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »
HUmmmm, never occurred to me that someone might cook pork on a Roti w/o hickory wood chunks.   Roti or no Roti, I'd be inclined to use charcoal and hickory.  Choose your internal temp and cook it L&S until it's reached.   If you want pork slices, then take it off before it spends all day.  If you want to render everything, then let it go, let it go, let it go.   Of course, it should be noted that, I have two Roti's for my 22"ers and NO gasser.   Speaks to my leaning toward charcoal & hickory, I guess :)

SJ

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".