Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I can’t seem to make melt in your mouth wings  (Read 3450 times)

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
Re: I can’t seem to make melt in your mouth wings
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »
cool thanks...will try for long times than 30 mins...maybe more lump..higher heat in baskets...

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
Would cracking the lid work well with wings or would that be too hot? Also when cracking the lid and having the charcoal pushed to one side, which direction do you crack the lid? Have the lid hanging over on the same side as the charcoal?
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
I crack the lid opposite the fire. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 06:41:54 PM »
Right, same side as food. Cracking the lid over the heat lets the heat escape straight out, right there. Cracking it over food is like opening the lid vent "even more" ... it creates a bigger draft, and so, more airflow.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
Thanks fellas!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 03:59:27 PM »
so vortex in middle or baskets in middle--400 degrees ..how long do you leave them around the perimeter? 60 mins?

At 400 degrees yer gonna need an hour...At 500+ degrees 40-45 minutes is plenty...I flip em at 30 minutes...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I can’t seem to make melt in your mouth wings
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »
so vortex in middle or baskets in middle--400 degrees ..how long do you leave them around the perimeter? 60 mins?

At 400 degrees yer gonna need an hour...At 500+ degrees 40-45 minutes is plenty...I flip em at 30 minutes...

This sounds exactly right as far as time and temp. I was flipping them at 30 but the flip side never seams to get the same texture as the initial top side of the wings. I stopped flipping and just let them run a little longer and they turn out great.

I love vortex wings but my favorite are top rack wsm no pan wings.

Wings are always a work in fine tuning my process. I like the practice though.

I also like spreading the coals cooking direct and turning often. Many many ways to cook them

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:32:12 PM by HoosierKettle »

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 04:43:48 PM »

I also like spreading the coals cooking direct and turning often. Many many ways to cook them

That's how I always did em before the Vortex entered my life...
Still do em this way if I want em sauced...Thinned sauce...sauce and turn, sauce and turn. sauce and turn...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
If I did wings @400 for an hour they'd be leather chips. At 500 degrees they'd be chunks of char.

Really? They're small pieces of meat. Legs and thighs don't take that long at those heats.

What am I misunderstanding here? Something-something-something crispy something?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
With my kettles I just monitor the lid temp...Pretty sure it's not that hot at the grate...Temp is just a reference point so you can repeat the results...

Also I don't separate the two pieces of wing...But I doubt that makes much diff in the end...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:38:19 PM by SMOKE FREAK »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I can’t seem to make melt in your mouth wings
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 03:43:10 AM »
If I did wings @400 for an hour they'd be leather chips. At 500 degrees they'd be chunks of char.

Really? They're small pieces of meat. Legs and thighs don't take that long at those heats.

What am I misunderstanding here? Something-something-something crispy something?

Legs, thighs, wings, all take me 45 min to an hour around baskets or a vortex running wide open.

They are safe to eat before an hour but I like to render most of the fat and crisp the skin if I’m using the vortex cooking method.

My wsm wings take me two hours at 300 cooking direct.

It probably depends on how you like your wings cooked but that’s how I prefer them.

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 04:03:14 AM »
Well in the meantime will try my baskets full of lump-- all vents open--wings around the perimeter full vents open for 50 mins.....try to get crispy wings sort of like deep fryer--try to get temps 400

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 04:05:25 AM »
Don’t be afraid to take one off and eat it. That’s the best way to figure out if they are ready

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »
What Smoke Freak sez. The Vortex and a Weber are the tools of choice at me casa. Can't go wrong.

Okay, let's dive in! Sauces were served on the side... me BBQ sauce, and me Asian Hoisin Sauce.

Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 03:03:50 PM »
Really would like to try the vortex , but I normally use the SnS and they turn out wonderful.  Dam I want some wings !!! Looks awesome !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club