Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a 16"???  (Read 1769 times)

JuanRod

• Smokey Joe
Picked up a 16"???
« on: April 06, 2018, 12:50:06 PM »
Seller said it's 16" on ad I don't have a tape measure on me and had to go straight to work  . Got it for $60 . Has a propane conversion and cover. Did they make 16s or is it an 18 ?? It's my  First smoker . I'll be on this part of the forum more often now. Hehe.

Sent from my Z981 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Picked up a 16"???
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
That's the middle, 18.5" size. Nice machine and for $60, a steal.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JuanRod

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »

That's the middle, 18.5" size. Nice machine and for $60, a steal.

Thank you. I thought I'd never get lucky in my neck of the woods. Missing thermometer any recommendations

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:19:44 PM »
...Missing thermometer any recommendations

That WSM looks too old to have come with a thermometer originally. Can you provide a picture of the area where it's missing?

For a "stock" appearance get a Weber thermometer and bezel, part # 63028 and 63027 and drill a hole. There are higher quality gauges out there (such as from TelTru) but usually not for smokers. At any rate, a Weber thermometer will be plenty accurate enough, for a while. And then after a couple years you toss it and buy another. They're cheap.

But what you really want is a Thermoworks Smoke or at least a Maverick 732 or 733. Dual probes and remote readings. And of course you can use them for other grills. The Thermoworks Smoke will be more accurate than the Maverick, in my experience.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JuanRod

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »
...Missing thermometer any recommendations

That WSM looks too old to have come with a thermometer originally. Can you provide a picture of the area where it's missing?

For a "stock" appearance get a Weber thermometer and bezel, part # 63028 and 63027 and drill a hole. There are higher quality gauges out there (such as from TelTru) but usually not for smokers. At any rate, a Weber thermometer will be plenty accurate enough, for a while. And then after a couple years you toss it and buy another. They're cheap.

But what you really want is a Thermoworks Smoke or at least a Maverick 732 or 733. Dual probes and remote readings. And of course you can use them for other grills. The Thermoworks Smoke will be more accurate than the Maverick, in my experience.
Thatnk for the info. Here's a pic of the hole behind the too handle

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »
Looks like they installed an aftermarket thermometer at some point, and then removed it ... because that's a big hole and the Weber thermos use a fairly small hole. If you like the idea (and price) of the Weber thermometer, you can still install one but not without maybe a couple washers to fill the void of the too-large hole.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
Both Tel-Tru and River Country sell thermometers that would work. You can use some SS washers to get the job done.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Picked up a 16"???
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 03:13:51 PM »
Both Tel-Tru and River Country sell thermometers that would work. You can use some SS washers to get the job done.

Do this.

Do not get Weber’s piece of shit 63028 thermo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 03:26:08 PM »
Awesome find, @JuanRod. I really like that cover too
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791