Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first Zav's...Imported from Canada  (Read 3526 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
My first Zav's...Imported from Canada
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
Very cool! Just realized all your SSP has diff. SS bars and plates to make each one unique. You definitely have your own style going with all your SSP.
Aside for the fasteners, i try  to use only recycled or re-purposed materials. Usually frequent thrift shops looking for items that i can re-purpose.   Some of those parts came from door pulls, golf clubs, kitchen utensils, old weber gassers,  lawn mower, etc. Probably spent less than $100 for parts on the 3 ssp's.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:21:59 PM by Jules V. »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first Zav's...Imported from Canada
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 05:50:38 AM »
Jules, that last picture p.2 ... what's the horizontal strap do, the one screwed into the top of the bowl?

Also, you mentioned cutting and drilling. You're using new stock for the strap, or reworking Weber's taco strap?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:59 AM »
Jules, that last picture p.2 ... what's the horizontal strap do, the one screwed into the top of the bowl?

Also, you mentioned cutting and drilling. You're using new stock for the strap, or reworking Weber's taco strap?
The horizontal strap (elliptical plate), was placed there to cover up holes that was created by a rusted out handle strap welds. When i got the grill (N code ssp),  one side of the handle was rusted through the lid and fully detached.  Other side was basically the same.  I'm not a welder so the plates (there's a rectangular plate inside the lid also), was my solution  to conceal the holes and rust on the adjacent areas. By the way this is the first used grill that i picked up, which coincidentally  made me join wkc. Got it free to boot. The rest of the lid, bowl and frame are in great shape.

Ok I think i might have misunderstood you  on the horizontal bar. The horizontal bar  on the green  bowl  is  used to cover up the the chopped off bowl handle. That bowl was originally an okp.

Also, the strap was reused.  It has to be shortened by at least 1" so therefore new holes must be drilled also.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:05:16 AM by Jules V. »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first Zav's...Imported from Canada
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 07:07:39 AM »
I see the other side's plate now, too. I'm surprised that a Performer bowl would have two bowl handles. I know several of the early models had one, "hidden away" by the table. My '92 is like that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »
I see the other side's plate now, too. I'm surprised that a Performer bowl would have two bowl handles. I know several of the early models had one, "hidden away" by the table. My '92 is like that.
Now i think i really i confused you.  The green lid n bowl  was originally a Jameson (2016) okp so it has 2 bowl handles. The red N code that is original to the ssp frame has only 1 bowl handle. If you look closely under the taco assembly, there's a strap/ plate underneath it.  There's one inside the bowl also. Those plates are used to conceal the holes and rust spots that i mentioned on my prior reply.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:45:33 AM by Jules V. »