Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time pulled pork  (Read 1517 times)

Frank

• Smokey Joe
First time pulled pork
« on: April 01, 2018, 11:45:57 PM »
Hello everyone. I made my first pulled pork for the Easter day. The boston butt was 1,4kg (3,086 lb).
For the rub I used a four four plus a bit of garlic, onion and wild fennel.
I used a snake method with some stone bricks for deflecting away the heat from the meat. Hickory wood chunk for smoking. No mopping, no praying.
After three hours and half when the temperature of the meat reached 66  degrees (150 farenhait) i had a stall so i prefered to keep going with foil, where i also added in it a tablespoon of apple juice mixed with a bit of apple vinegar. In the and it took me ten hours to cooking cause the stall problem. I removed from the kettle when the heart of the meat reached 95 degrees (203 farenhait) and let it rest in the foil for 1/2 hour before shredding. I sarved it with some homemade Carolina sauce. Hope you enjoy it and all of you had a nice Ester day.
Frank
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:49:10 PM by Frank »

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
Re: First time pulled pork
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:40:19 AM »
Looking grate 🤙🏻

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 04:30:32 AM »
That's some great looking pulled pork! Well done!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 07:31:10 AM »
Do you know about what your pit temps were? I'm surprised you shielded the meat with heat absorbing (not merely deflecting) brick. 10 hours seems a bit long for only 3lbs, but would explain it I suppose. Cold outside where you are?

Looks awesome and tasty!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MauroBBQ

• WKC Brave
    • Mauro's BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:16:37 AM »
Se ve delicioso!!!
Looks delicious!!!
Congrats
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
22" Performer - SJG:N code - GA: P code - Weber Q 1000 - Weber Q 2000 - WSM 22"
Youtube page: Mauro's BBQ
email: maurobbq73@gmail.com

Frank

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »
Do you know about what your pit temps were? I'm surprised you shielded the meat with heat absorbing (not merely deflecting) brick. 10 hours seems a bit long for only 3lbs, but would explain it I suppose. Cold outside where you are?

Looks awesome and tasty!
Hi, the temperature in the pit was around 230 - 248 degrees but after three hours when the meat reached 150 i had a stall so i waited almost two hours but nothing happened. After that i decided to go on with foil but when i was foiling the meat the temperature dropped to 140 degrees so when i putted it back in the pit i took me an other half hour for rising. If it wasn't for this inconvenience i think i could have done in 6-8 hours.
Yes i use bricks for absorbing heat becouse i dont have a SnS yet.
The weather was around 62 degrees.
Any suggestions or advice for my next cooking? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:12:02 PM by Frank »

Frank

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 10:58:49 PM »
Looking grate 🤙🏻

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Thanks

Sent from my MI 4W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Frank

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:59:11 PM »
That's some great looking pulled pork! Well done!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Thanks [emoji6]

Frank

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »
Se ve delicioso!!!
Looks delicious!!!
Congrats
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Thanks Mauro [emoji6]

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 02:14:14 AM »
Looks grate for your first time. I just did my first pork butt and it is well worth the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 06:02:16 AM »

Looks awesome and tasty!
Hi, the temperature in the pit was around 230 - 248 degrees but after three hours when the meat reached 150 i had a stall so i waited almost two hours but nothing happened. After that i decided to go on with foil but when i was foiling the meat the temperature dropped to 140 degrees so when i putted it back in the pit i took me an other half hour for rising. If it wasn't for this inconvenience i think i could have done in 6-8 hours.

Try it without the brick. That 230-250 temp did not reach the meat.

Don't be worried about burning or overcooking that lump of meat with a snake. Won't happen. Pork is both more forgiving of heat AND that lump is it's own huge heat sink, distributing heat slowly to the opposite side of the meat. Also, the kettle naturally evens the heat more than you might think at LOW temperatures.

Might be able to "power through" the stall with higher pit temp, and I like the foil idea for that although I don't know how popular that method is? I guess it depends on when dinner is served.

I think another option is to go hotter/shorter, approximately 275 and then finish hotter, more like 210 internal. All of that is made more challenging with heat sinks absorbing fuel.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First time pulled pork
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 06:15:53 AM »

Looks awesome and tasty!

Don't be worried about burning or overcooking that lump of meat with a snake. Won't happen. Pork is both more forgiving of heat AND that lump is it's own huge heat sink, distributing heat slowly to the opposite side of the meat. Also, the kettle naturally evens the heat more than you might think at LOW temperatures.

Might be able to "power through" the stall with higher pit temp, and I like the foil idea for that although I don't know how popular that method is? I guess it depends on when dinner is served.

I think another option is to go hotter/shorter, approximately 275 and then finish hotter, more like 210 internal. All of that is made more challenging with heat sinks absorbing fuel.

I always wrap now. I smoke at 250-275 for 5 hours than wrap for 2 for a 6-8 lb butt. I think it’s juicier 

Frank

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 01:44:23 AM »

Looks awesome and tasty!

I always wrap now. I smoke at 250-275 for 5 hours than wrap for 2 for a 6-8 lb butt. I think it’s juicier 

Ok thanks. Yes i shoud have rised the temperature instead of wrapping it. I'll try in a different way next time.
And what about the fire do you use a snake or is better with a minion but on one side? I also have weber basket maybe i can stick two together and use like S&Sear (becouse one i think is too small), what do you think?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:49:09 AM by Frank »

Frank

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 01:50:53 AM »
Looks grate for your first time. I just did my first pork butt and it is well worth the time.

Yes for sure its worth the time. It's very tasty .

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 05:05:14 AM »
Frank I think your response above was to me although you replied to HoosierKettle. My question about wrapping was only that --- a question. As HoosierKettle confirmed, it works! So don't misunderstand what I said about me raising the temperature to be "the correct way how to do it" for you or anyone else. :)

For a 22 kettle stick with the snake. It was meant for low-and-slow in that machine. The others you mentioned are not, and will not work as well in that machine.

You'll note that if you stick with wrapping, and using a snake, only ONE variable might be changed for next time: no firebrick. Changing just one variable is always a good idea.