Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My consolation prize(s) today 1975-77 Brownie & 1985 1-touch Redhead  (Read 1553 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
On FRIDAY, I stumbled across a red Seville up in Wisconsin for $100 on Craigslist a several hours after it was posted.  I about had to change my pants right there & then.  Contacted the seller & they said I was 2nd in line for it, let me know if the 1st person did it want it by SUNDAY at 9:30 am.  I remained somewhat hopeful as there was a decent shot whoever was waiting until Sunday to look at it wasn't terribly knowledgeable otherwise they would have headed right there ASAP (what I always do).  I also thought there was a shot the listing wouldn't be so easily found (it didn't say Weber) & I might just possibly be able to squeak through til Sunday. About 8:30 am Sunday, seller texts me to tell me they listed it on ebay. (It's on a 10 day auction & was already at $500 this morning).  It's posted in online finds if you want to look at it.

I think I was more bummed that it went on ebay than if I the first person bought it.  I'm hoping whoever was 1st in line wasn't from here, or learned they need to get there ASAP for something that cool & if they can't, it would be nice to just let it go so someone else local can get it before it winds up on ebay.  I passed on a local Sequoia last fall because I knew I wouldn't be able to get it quick enough & I still wonder who got it.  If memory serves, it was green but the big thing was one side was missing.  There were doors on one side & nothing on the other.  Never noticed it mentioned on here, but hope someone on here got it.  But, enough of my harping, bitching & moaning & on to my consolation prize(s). 

I found these two kettles about 15 minutes after they were posted on Craigslist this afternoon.  They were also posted on offerup here. https://offerup.com/item/detail/444651326/?ref=Search

Both have flaws & both are missing their ash pans, but from a quick examination, they both look like they will make respectable (and decent looking) cookers.

The redhead is a G 1985, is missing all 3 handles & ash pan.  It's a one touch with missing sweeps, but the handle for the sweeps is there (rusted in place).

The brownie appears to be a 1975 or 1976 (based on Bar-b-q Kettle & patent number on the top vent & large vent tabs on the bottom vent).  However, the wheels are 1977, or later, vintage.  Maybe replaced at some point?  There is some significant rust by the leg sockets where someone put some large washers inside to try strengthening the legs so they don't fall off.  The bottoms of the Metal Bowl Handles are rusted through so you feel a rough opening on the bottom of the MBHs. 

I've got a couple of older black bowls that I can probably use the ashpans from.  If I'm lucky, I might even have the right wheels for the brownie from one of the black bowls (but I think it was a bit later).  If not, I'll have to be on the hunt for one with the right wheels. 

I'm basically thinking about filling the inside of the MBHs with JB Weld & then smoothing/sanding a layer at the surface so that you don't feel the roughness of where the bottoms are rusted through.  I'm going to take a look at the kind of rigged repair on the brownies legs & just might put some cooking oil on the rust & then basically do the same thing but with larger pieces of steel than the washers they used & some sealing stuff I have for ovens (to better control airflow).  Perhaps eventually getting around to trying to get it welded at some point.

The guy who had them said he bought them a couple years back & they were going to be a project for him to work on, but he never got around to it.  Someone did appear to have cleaned them out pretty good though. 

It's my first full size brownie (I have 2 brown offset handle SJs, one NIB & the other allegedly never used) & my second redhead (1st was a SSP).

The pics are from the listing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:28:10 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: My consolation prize(s) today 1975-77 Brownie & 1985 1-touch Redhead
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 08:30:06 PM »
Sorry about the Seville. But Wow that is quite the consultation prize!! That's a pretty neat find out two in one posting.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:47:09 AM »
Nice pick up!!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
My consolation prize(s) today 1975-77 Brownie & 1985 1-touch Redhead
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:35:41 AM »
Grate pickups

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:09:17 AM »
Grate score!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 05:03:18 AM »
Congrats on the pair.

I saw the listing after they had sold and hoped that they ended up in a fellow members hands.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 05:08:20 AM »
Thank guys.  Both my apologies & thanks for the ability to bitch & moan about the person in line before me, who was stupid enough to say he'd be out Sunday morning instead of Friday evening or Saturday morning.  I didn't try offering more because I didn't want to get them thinking about it, but I did go as far as to say I could pick it up sooner if they wanted it out of there quickly. 

The Seville would have been an epic score for $100, but the two I got aren't really too bad & was only about 2 hrs round trip.  The Seville would have been a longer nailbiter drive wondering if they were going to have second thoughts as you get there or texting you somewhere along the much farther drive. 

Sorry about the Seville. But Wow that is quite the consultation prize!! That's a pretty neat find out two in one posting.

Nice pick up!!

Grate pickups

Grate score!
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 05:10:54 AM »
Thanks @Kneab

I lucked out & found them about 15 minutes after they were posted on Craigslist & hopped right on it.  I happened to just decide to jump on in the afternoon & search after finding out I missed out on my (admittedly SMALL chance, since I was 2nd in line) on the Seville earlier in the morning.

Congrats on the pair.

I saw the listing after they had sold and hoped that they ended up in a fellow members hands.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:16:06 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Packman04

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 06:37:41 AM »
Stupid enough?

Thank guys.  Both my apologies & thanks for the ability to bitch & moan about the person in line before me, who was stupid enough to say he'd be out Sunday morning instead of Friday evening or Saturday morning.  I didn't try offering more because I didn't want to get them thinking about it, but I did go as far as to say I could pick it up sooner if they wanted it out of there quickly. 

The Seville would have been an epic score for $100, but the two I got aren't really too bad & was only about 2 hrs round trip.  The Seville would have been a longer nailbiter drive wondering if they were going to have second thoughts as you get there or texting you somewhere along the much farther drive. 

Nice pick up!!

Grate pickups

Grate score!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
Yeah, sorry @Packman04 I actually do understand having other obligations.  I was annoyed at it winding up on ebay by someone who came after me in line and was generally ranting & raving.
regards,
Hal

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
That's a helluva consolation prize.  Congrats on the pick up.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »
I'm sorry that you missed out on the Seville, but you got a great score on the consolation. Congrats.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 05:13:26 PM »
Grate story and scores. Congrats.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
Thanks all & I really can't complain too much as these aren't bad & I wasn't going to get the Seville anyway because I was behind someone from the WKC in line, so they definitely would have bought it if it hadn't gotten snaked & wound up on ebay. 

For a while, I had believed I had a shot.

When I first saw the ad, for a moment I figured I messed up & forgot to exclude "wanteds" & for a second thought it was just going to be another ad from the guy up in WI who uses photos from here saying "wanted to buy". 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:26:46 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal