Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Possible kettle honeyhole  (Read 1661 times)

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Possible kettle honeyhole
« on: March 17, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »
Hey all.  I went up to the materials reclamation center north of Duluth today for the first time.  Grills and other stuff are no longer picked up by the garbage truck, so that stuff gets dropped off.  Anything usable is put in the reuse area and can be taken for free.  You are limited to one visit per day and can only take two items at a time.  I was a bit early, but a woman I talked to said with the warmer weather, they will soon have more grills than they know what to do with.  Should be interesting picking this year.  Stay tuned.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Possible kettle honeyhole
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »
writing letter to my county seat to outlaw grills going to landfill RIGHT NOW!!!....LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
Theres nothing like this in my area and im pretty bummed about that lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »
I love dump scores. 2 modern 18s, red mist 22 MT 2 SJs & 1 SJG, and a weathered MBH bowl only
is what came out of town dump in the last 8 months here.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 03:46:53 PM »
Hey all.  I went up to the materials reclamation center north of Duluth today for the first time.  Grills and other stuff are no longer picked up by the garbage truck, so that stuff gets dropped off.  Anything usable is put in the reuse area and can be taken for free.  You are limited to one visit per day and can only take two items at a time.  I was a bit early, but a woman I talked to said with the warmer weather, they will soon have more grills than they know what to do with.  Should be interesting picking this year.  Stay tuned.
For a minute I thought you meant Duluth GA....and I was happy....then I saw your location on your profile....now I am sad.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »
I found 11/16 of a black MBH (big tabs) in a scap pile today.

The lid, wheels and cooking grate didn't make it out...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 09:10:02 PM »
I need to find my local dump to look for kettles

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
Woa Grillagin, great idea! Did you ever get your handle unbent on your refurb job a few weeks back?
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:40:12 PM »
Woa Grillagin, great idea! Did you ever get your handle unbent on your refurb job a few weeks back?

You have crazy timing, Larry.  I was just about to dig up that thread and update, but here we are.  Your idea worked like a charm!  There is still a slight side bend on one side due to the indented lid, but the handle fits fine on the lid strap. With my Dad's help, we horsed the bowl strap into shape as well.  The landfill picking will be like Christmas every time I go up there, I'm hoping.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:46:09 PM by Grillagin »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:31:46 PM »
Now my wife is going to want to know why we are heading up there for a "vacation". 

regards,
Hal

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 03:30:49 AM »
Hmmmmmm...... I'll be near Duluth in July for a weeks vacation[emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 06:18:00 AM »
Unfortunately our landfill will not allow it. If it touches the ground, you can't take it home. 

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 03:24:57 PM »
Here you go @bladz. Go nuts.  If you find an 18 Cado, I call dibs.

http://wlssd.com/hours-facilities/

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Possible kettle honeyhole
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
@Grillagin I would never infringe on your new found honey hole. But if you need someone to help you look for that Cado or anything else at the site I'd be more than willing to join you for the day!  Of course the week that I'm on vacation. Too far to drive to Duluth for a day trip. [emoji6]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:19:09 AM by bladz »