Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Continuing my obsession  (Read 32185 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Continuing my obsession
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 05:46:33 AM »

What’s the red and yellow sauces you use/make?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

The yellow is a honey mustard jalapeño sauce. The red is a tangy bbq sauce. Just ketchup brown sugar cider vinegar mustard and some various spices.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 03:26:29 PM »
I was going to run a dry pan and use both levels tonight but I couldn’t help it. I had to go no pan again. It’s just so good. No smoke wood.  Flavor over coals is enough.  This is live action so I’ll post an update.

The more I use the wsm, the more I like it. I thought about selling it a couple months after I bought it but I’m glad I didn’t. It’s a very versatile cooker. I would really like the mini and the 22.

It’s my second favorite cooker closely behind the 26 now.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:28:31 PM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
One hour and I flipped them. All vents open and no peeking. They will probably go another half hour to an hour.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
Pictures didn’t turn out great but the chicken did. Cooking at 300, the chicken stalled at 156. I finished in the oven. I didn’t anticipate that so total cook time was 2.5 hours. Kind of a drag but chicken turned out perfect.

bbqmike

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »
Looks grate!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
Looks delicious!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 05:51:31 AM »
Thanks fellas. I would have liked to be cooking more in the 325+ range. Chicken takes quite awhile in the 300 range evidently. Either that or allow more time. It really tasted great though. Next time I will probably throw a small chunk of smoke wood in as well. They were extremely juicy and the oven finish crisped the skin up.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 06:33:38 AM »
@HoosierKettle, BTW, 300 measured with lid thermo or a probe on the grate?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2018, 07:17:17 AM »

@HoosierKettle, BTW, 300 measured with lid thermo or a probe on the grate?

I use the removable lid thermo from my gen 2 performer inserted through the lid vent on the wsm. Ive tested it and it’s reliable and accurate. Unlike the weber thermo I permanently installed in the lid.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 07:30:42 AM »
Ok, thnx for feedback [emoji106]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
I’m using the mini with no pan today. I cut the back out and separated into whole chicken halves. I haven’t done that before that I can remember.

The mini is a precision cooker. I cracked the lid to quickly boost temp to 350 then put the lid on tight with top vent open and bottom at half. It settled at 325 steady.

The mini is fantastic because you can make fast temperature adjustments and it’s small and more handy than the 18. I love this little guy.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
Wow!!  This was good. It didn’t last long. My son and I destroyed it.

This time around I kept the temp between 325-350 and it was done in 1.25 hours. I think it was my best work yet. I liked it better than the roti chickens I have done.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:23:35 AM by HoosierKettle »

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
Great thread; thanks @HoosierKettle! I know this started off as being about your not using the water pan these days. What are your thoughts (or anyone else’s) about a general rule as to when to use/not use a water pan? What’s the purpose? How can it help or hinder a cook?  When I first started smoking on a WSM, I just assumed the WP was to add moisture, then I started reading it was more about regulating temp since H2O boils at 212. Then I started reading about guys like you that rarely use the pan. Just looking for some direction here. Thanks.

I’m certain this topic probably has its own thread (or ten); can someone point me to it?

-Jed
-Jed

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »

Great thread; thanks @HoosierKettle! I know this started off as being about your not using the water pan these days. What are your thoughts (or anyone else’s) about a general rule as to when to use/not use a water pan? What’s the purpose? How can it help or hinder a cook?  When I first started smoking on a WSM, I just assumed the WP was to add moisture, then I started reading it was more about regulating temp since H2O boils at 212. Then I started reading about guys like you that rarely use the pan. Just looking for some direction here. Thanks.

I’m certain this topic probably has its own thread (or ten); can someone point me to it?

-Jed

I utilize the wsm or my mini in all different configurations depending on what I’m doing.

The pan must be used if using upper and lower grates. The lower grate is too close to the fire.

I will also use a pan with water whenever I cook brisket or beef ribs. I think it helps keep my temp down and I like that it adds some moisture to the cooking environment.

I will run an empty pan when running two levels of chicken or pork and I want my temps in the 300+ range.

I will run no pan for chicken or pork on the top grate only. I love the flavor and texture of cooking direct.

Hope that helps and hopefully others will chime in.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 05:51:08 PM »
Big help, thanks! BTW- ditto on your mini WSM comments. Ever since I built mine I can’t seem to justify firing up my 22” barrel smoker. It’s just too damn convenient to use the little guy.

-Jed
-Jed