Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "THE MEATER"...gadget or necessity?  (Read 3449 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
"THE MEATER"...gadget or necessity?
« on: July 15, 2016, 06:14:27 PM »
Just saw this and it looks to be released soon...Was wondering what everybodies take on it is. I'm thinkin of ordering one.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meater-the-only-wire-free-smart-meat-thermometer#/
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: "THE MEATER"...gadget or necessity?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 06:31:31 PM »
Go for it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
"THE MEATER"...gadget or necessity?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 06:39:16 PM »
I've seen that in a YouTube video. Personally, no. Touch, feel, time is how to roll for cooking steaks. Doesn't mean it isn't cool, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 11:33:09 PM »
Save your money. This thing is like an ad for Thermoworks and Maverick.

Buy a Thermopen, or one of the many cheaper brands for instant read. Most work pretty damn good. Buy a Maverick if you need remote functionality. Or one of the ones that Maverick seems to make for other brands

That is advice for those of us that just cook at home. Beyond that you can get way more complex and expensive with cooking thermometers.

And with apologies to Travis...Brother - I'd rather trust a Thermopen than a finger push on my steak. I know that my finger can't read 134.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:34:01 AM »
A bunch of us "bought" them on Kickstarter = but no one has gotten them yet.  I would wait until folks (like me) start reporting that they have used them and they are OK.  Be patient - I know how hard it is  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 07:58:37 AM »
Save your money. This thing is like an ad for Thermoworks and Maverick.

Buy a Thermopen, or one of the many cheaper brands for instant read. Most work pretty damn good. Buy a Maverick if you need remote functionality. Or one of the ones that Maverick seems to make for other brands

That is advice for those of us that just cook at home. Beyond that you can get way more complex and expensive with cooking thermometers.

And with apologies to Travis...Brother - I'd rather trust a Thermopen than a finger push on my steak. I know that my finger can't read 134.
Hell, no apologize needed, Jon! That's what I love about this forum. Different grillfella's talking about they're techniques and helping each other with the solution! I use a probe for bigger cuts like tri tips and huge steaks. Like you said, your finger can't read 135 and no one wants to ruin a $50 cowboy ribeye, right! I've just gotten to not having to use them for your regular cut. Temp, time, touch. Sometimes they come out a little rarer than others. Just all part of the fun for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »
I appreciate everyones input and as hard as it will be, I'll wait for one of to "review" it... But man I do love gadgets!!  And another thing, I just finished reading some other posts and I really appreciate how everyone CAN and DOES give their input, and even though there is some light ribbing going on, no one gets there feelers hurt,  there is NO right or wrong way to grill, it's something we all love and thats why we are here. I was at a coffee roasting forum once and people were saying that "Their Way" was the right way..and the way this other guy did it was TOTALLY wrong... well, wrong or right it was how HE like his coffee. If everybody roasted coffee the exact same way, every coffee shop would TASTE the exact same way!!! I like my meat my way does not mean I wouldnt like someone elses...DIVERSITY is good!!! (but travis, keep your fingers off my meat!)...lol
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:09:15 AM »
I ordered the Meater Block well over a year ago.  Still waiting on them to be shipped and it sounds like its going to be a few more months at least.  At this point the money was spent so long ago I'm not mad that they haven't been able to start shipping them yet.  It looks like they are doing a lot of work to get them as dialed in as possible.  I'm really hoping these things work well.  If they work well it will be a game changer for roto cooking to not have to figure out how to run your wires so the wires and transmitter spin with the roti.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 08:13:57 AM »

Having a new Smoke thermometer and a 8 year old Maverick ET-71 that still works wonderfully, I will stick with using the $5 spit rod bushing idea that Maineac posted.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/standing-rib-roast-for-first-performer-rotis-cook/

Getting happy

Ready to pull

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 09:39:22 PM »
Bumping this to see if any of you "kickstarters" have received yours and what is your impression?

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 06:17:57 AM »
Another bump looking for feedback from those that have it. This review I found online the guy even left the Meater in while searing https://grillinfools.com/blog/2017/10/23/meet-the-meater/ The company says the thermometer for ambient temperature is only rated to 527F. Being able to leave it in while searing and having that estimated end cook time would be really nice.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 06:37:38 AM »
Thermapen here...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.