Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: knock off ID help needed  (Read 913 times)

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
knock off ID help needed
« on: February 04, 2018, 01:30:15 PM »
OK here is one for the experts
The other day I got given a free Weber 22 inch
As I looked at it I knew that something was wrong but I never turn down a free kettle, (my wife wishes I would) I just restore them and pass them on to happy new owners
I have seen a few knock offs, but this one is really getting me

It has the classic 3 daisy wheel bottom with one on top, none of the wheels have any form of lettering and they seem a tad bit small

the handles are plastic with no identification, they have small bolts and bolt on, the nuts are inside of the kettle when the handles are mounted

the lip on the top is way square

the tab on the lid to hold the top on when it is hung on the side is way to the middle

the ash catcher is an interior type that is saucershapped with holes around the outer edges and fits under the charcoalgrill

the wheels do not match any of our data base pics

the triangle looks like a weber, but that could have been changed out

as far as any lettering, I have not seen any. the shape is close to classic weber maybe a little flat topped but not much

any Ideas?

If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: knock off ID help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »
How bout some pics(?).  From the description, it’s likely a Happy Cooker.  Grate kettles, even if they’re “knock-offs”. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »
Sounds like a Happy Cooker to me to. A lot of people seem to like those ash pans.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »
I plan on burning some charcoal in it tonight so I will take a few pics

If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 03:07:07 PM »
After doing some web searching, and looking at the limited amount of pics I have found, looks like I have a Happy cooker.

I am going use if for a while as I am doing a project in Chandler AZ and do not have a kettle here at my RV and when I get back to Cali I will do a restore and place here next to my late 70s green.

She is a survivor, saw her in the storage/scrap area of the RV lot just looking abused and asked the owner if someone had left it there. He said that thing had been there for as long as he remembered sitting under a shed, as he was cleaning up he was going to toss it, and if wanted it to just take it. I do not think he knew what a piece of history that thing actually is.

Funny thing is that I really do not collect Webers even though I have 7, I like the green because it is rare and I like this one because of the checkered  history of the Happy Cooker I have always wanted to find one. Never thought I would be rescuing one from a dumpster trip when the owner was cleaning out his shed.

Noe I actually want to find a gas model of the HC

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
The happy cooker is a good grill. The vent proportions are different that a weber, the steel legs rust, but overall the quality and porcelain are similar. The nicer HC's are the ones with chrome vents and wooden handles with the low angle angle chamfer but the daisy wheel ones all cook similarly.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791