Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: vintage WSM  (Read 3028 times)

jaguarjim

• Happy Cooker
vintage WSM
« on: February 03, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
Any idea as to how I can I determine the age of my WSM?  It has teak handles so it's vintage, right?

I picked it up for $50

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: vintage WSM
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
There should be a letter on the top vent that you can cross reference with the "age guide" link above. Yours looks pretty old because of the round door knob, but it's not one of the first run wsm's. 
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:47:16 PM »
I am curious as to the code on this. I would guess late 80's/early 90's.

Either way, excellent score for $50.

jaguarjim

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:13:53 PM »

Accordingly the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker was first introduced for the 1981 model year. There are a few smokers that have no date code; it's assumed these smokers are the result of manufacturing errors or they may be pre-production models.  Since mine does not have a date code on any of the dampers and it having teak handle and round teak knob for the door, I'm guessing it may very well have been a pre-production model. Also, those with stamps have dampers which have 3 raised notches.  my dampers are all flat.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »

Accordingly the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker was first introduced for the 1981 model year. There are a few smokers that have no date code; it's assumed these smokers are the result of manufacturing errors or they may be pre-production models.  Since mine does not have a date code on any of the dampers and it having teak handle and round teak knob for the door, I'm guessing it may very well have been a pre-production model. Also, those with stamps have dampers which have 3 raised notches.  my dampers are all flat.

It could also be a Weber warranty factory replacement. The replacements don't have any stamps/markings whatsoever.

jaguarjim

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »

It could also be a Weber warranty factory replacement. The replacements don't have any stamps/markings whatsoever.
I haven't heard of that possibility.  thanks.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 11:08:36 PM »
Someone on our site mentioned that the early legs were made of steel (usually a bit rusty), these look like aluminum to me but a magnet would know ?

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 05:13:48 AM »
Really nice pickup. I to have an unmarked 18.5. But it definitely has a different door than yours. All 4 vents are the same, totally unmarked and flat, no bubble notches. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 01:32:48 PM »
You do not have a "pre-production" model.
You have a mid to late 80s/early 90s model. It seems there was a period of time when the vents did not get date codes. I bet the handle has a single screw.
The door is aluminum. WSM doors that have stippling or a pattern are aluminum. Very early WSMs have steel
legs and smooth steel door.
The handle on the door is not wood either. It's some kind of plastic and was on all WSMs until less than 10 years ago.
There are two known WSMs with a "B" date code. The older of those two has a wood handle with 2 rivets, the other a single screw.
Edit:
If you have a pre-production WSM, it would have to be older than the oldest known WSM, and it therefore would have a wood handle with two rivets also.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:07:07 AM by Harbormaster »
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 06:51:04 AM »
I have what looks exactly like that model with the same wood handled door and no thermometer on the lid (I added it). It’s an N code which dates it as 1991. I had to replace the bottom bowl and Weber sent a replacement with unmarked vents which is when I decided to add the lid thermometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]