Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Working on SS Performers- Gummi Bear build log, pic heavy  (Read 29384 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Working on SS Performers- Gummi Bear build log, pic heavy
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
Nice job and useful tips!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: Working on SS Performers- Gummi Bear build log, pic heavy
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »
Great posts, Lawrence!  Thanks for the inspiration.  I might head out in the dark and polish up my thermo holder with 0000 steel wool, I'm so excited.

And we use the same bowl scraper!  A great, cheap, perfect tool. 
One of the charcoal people.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »
Mike, just pop it off and bring it to where there is some light lol. Why stop there? I'm going to do the top vent too but feel free to beat me to it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
The Bar Keepers Friend did amazing things to that SS top.  I have Top Saver which I use on my CI table saw and plan on using during my SS cleanup.  I just need to finish a couple other restore's before I tear into it.  Thanks for the picture story as I can see what I'm getting to before grabbing a wrench.  :)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
Yes it did Bman! But it doesnt remove the grain or micropitting. If you look closely at the black listing you can see the remnants of a wavy rust spot. I think the po put a wavy steel thing on it that rusted and spread over the entire surface. It's very uncharacteristic of ss to do that on it's own. On the next table I'm gonna polish all the micro scratches off with a sandpaper progression.

The Bar Keepers Friend did amazing things to that SS top.  I have Top Saver which I use on my CI table saw and plan on using during my SS cleanup.  I just need to finish a couple other restore's before I tear into it.  Thanks for the picture story as I can see what I'm getting to before grabbing a wrench.  :)

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »
Thanks for a great informative and inspiring post!

I have that same (or similar) angle grinder and I'm surprised how often I use it. I didn't use it today but I did use it last week to cut some concrete reinforcing wire.

I did a restore today but much less ambitious.  8)  ;D
kettles, smokers...

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
Hey Lawrence, they look awesome....I can think of something else that would make these even look better!
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »
Hi Hank, this was actually the first time I used it. I got is a gift a while back and I know how useful they are. Previously I was more of a dremel kind of guy so a grinder was very intimidating. It is nice not to have to spend 5 bucks on a new reinforced cutoff wheel every time I cut something beefier

Thanks for a great informative and inspiring post!

I have that same (or similar) angle grinder and I'm surprised how often I use it. I didn't use it today but I did use it last week to cut some concrete reinforcing wire.

I did a restore today but much less ambitious.  8)  ;D

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
Hey B I have the walnut performer set you made for me going on it. I just borrowed it for the WSM trifecta photoshoot, lol. I'll need one for that WSM too soon though. :P

Hey Lawrence, they look awesome....I can think of something else that would make these even look better!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
Gums, you are SICK. SICK!!!

Fantastic work. If I had the cash, I'd fly you to chicago so you can help me with my Red S/S.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »
Hey B I have the walnut performer set you made for me going on it. I just borrowed it for the WSM trifecta photoshoot, lol. I'll need one for that WSM too soon though. :P

I forgot you got some already!
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 11:52:52 PM »

I forgot you got some already!

Yeah these babies are going on them soon:

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 11:54:59 PM »
Did you get it?  :-X

Super helpful and well detailed!  I'm looking at doing this to a green performer that I should be getting tonight. 

Then, I might create the first (that I've seen) SS C&B Grey and sell off a greenie.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 03:49:29 AM »
Informative post Lawrence.  I like your step by step in time it took.   You did some great work.  I disassembled a bunch of ss's and do things about the same as you did. 

Troy...if you want some help with yours, bring it by in June and drop it off.  I'd work on it for you.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 05:25:16 AM »
Did you get it?  :-X

Super helpful and well detailed!  I'm looking at doing this to a green performer that I should be getting tonight. 

Then, I might create the first (that I've seen) SS C&B Grey and sell off a greenie.

I did actually get it.  It is in tougher shape than I expected and I didn't have time to do much other than unload it.  I'll put up its own post after I take some pics so as not to hijack this helpful thread, but since you asked I did pick it up.  It has warped charcoal grate, junk cooking grate, no charcoal baskets, 2 bowl dings about the size of a half dollar (WTF-on a performer? How?) and worst of all, a HOLE where the lid bale should attach.  It's also filthy.  On the plus side, it came with, a weber chimney, 5lb propane tank, Performer cover, a nifty charcoal scoop and a brand new kettle tool hook that will go right on my red 18".  Also, it was a gas assist SSP for $25 (actually, the most I've spent on a performer yet). So that part was also good.