Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Working on SS Performers- Gummi Bear build log, pic heavy  (Read 29380 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Working on SS Performers- Gummi Bear build log, pic heavy
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 10:19:42 AM »

I did actually get it.  It is in tougher shape than I expected and I didn't have time to do much other than unload it.  I'll put up its own post after I take some pics so as not to hijack this helpful thread, but since you asked I did pick it up.  It has warped charcoal grate, junk cooking grate, no charcoal baskets, 2 bowl dings about the size of a half dollar (WTF-on a performer? How?) and worst of all, a HOLE where the lid bale should attach.  It's also filthy.  On the plus side, it came with, a weber chimney, 5lb propane tank, Performer cover, a nifty charcoal scoop and a brand new kettle tool hook that will go right on my red 18".  Also, it was a gas assist SSP for $25 (actually, the most I've spent on a performer yet). So that part was also good.

That's great! Yeah the grates get warped from the super high heat of the torch and baskets. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
I too have noticed that the bottom grates get pretty distorted on the Performers.  I think it's the combination of the upward heat of the burner flame and the downward heat of a chimney full of charcoal.  Right in the middle there is some pretty intense heat, I imagine.  I replaced the bottom grate on my Performer last fall, and it's already getting all wiggy. 

And jkolantern, you can still get those old-school wire-style coal baskets from Weber if you like.  I can't find the part number anywhere, unfortunately, but they will sell them to you.  Or if you prefer the newer stamped-metal style, I've got a hot tip:  Weber will sell you a set of them in a retail box for like $18/pair, or if you purchase them individually you can get them for $3.75/apiece.  The stock number for the individual baskets is #62423. 
One of the charcoal people.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »
I just happen to have the pre-2000 Performer schematic in front of me.  The Wire Charcoal Baskets are part #960080
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »
I know I'm late on this but Great job PBE!! you do outstanding work!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks Bob! This is an ongoing project for me so I hope to update it soon. I'm waiting on some parts at the moment

I know I'm late on this but Great job PBE!! you do outstanding work!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »
And jkolantern, you can still get those old-school wire-style coal baskets from Weber if you like.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/wire-charcoal-basket-p-1477460.html

$8.80 US each.

kettles, smokers...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »
Thanks, Bman.

And nice catch, Hank!  That's about what I paid Weber for mine.  Then I found a whole SS Performer complete with wire coal baskets the next week for just $25 total.  Murphy's Law, I guess, but I'm not complaining.
One of the charcoal people.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 08:59:22 PM »
I'm definitely hopping onto 2 of these. Thanks for the link.

And jkolantern, you can still get those old-school wire-style coal baskets from Weber if you like.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/wire-charcoal-basket-p-1477460.html

$8.80 US each.

I ordered an 11# propane tank from amazon and adapter that I am going to fit onto the SS. The tank comes tomorrow and the adapter hose comes in Thu.

Tank

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:04:23 PM by pbe gummi bear »

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 07:22:42 AM »
Thanks, Bman.

And nice catch, Hank!  That's about what I paid Weber for mine.  Then I found a whole SS Performer complete with wire coal baskets the next week for just $25 total.  Murphy's Law, I guess, but I'm not complaining.

I did a very similar thing on my first Performer!  Bought my C&B grey with wasted pop metal baskets, didn't know the old ones were still available, and shelled out like $16 bucks at the Depot for a set of the new style ones...then bought an SSP with the old school baskets for $20.

The green I bought will just be a fix & flip I think so I'll let the new owner buy baskets...I can't fully justify keeping 2 performers, let alone 3, with all my other grills.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »
Working on the gas line

So my tank came in this week. I was so excited! I could have saved a few bucks by going with a 20# but the 11# fits so much nicer. It's a little larger than the 5# tank- trying to hang it on the standard hook causes the tank body to hit the front panel of the performer. To make matters worse, the wide handle hole that is on the collar is 90deg in the wrong direction. Looks like I have another part to make.

In the meantime I needed to rig together a gas line for the kettle. My regulator should still work but I needed the QCC1 adapter. So I ordered this pigtail adapter from amazon for $10

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59053-Tail-Propane-Connector/dp/B0014E3MSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368939307&sr=8-1&keywords=RV+propane+pigtail

IT DOES NOT FIT THE REGULATOR- The fitting at the end is 1/4" NPT and the regulator to quick connect is 5/16" Oops. So I bought a 5/16" NPT barb adapter from the hardware store.

Unfortunately the hardware store didn't have a 5/16" NPT fitting with 1/8" or 3/16" ID barb. This one is a 1/4" ID barb- The same ID as the tube. It was a b!tch to put on, but I hoseclamped it securely.

Completed regulator

Still to go:
Restoring the SS grain
Kettle touch up
Repainting the frame
Plastidipping the lid bale
Making the propane mount
Filling the propane
Detail work

Since this performer is out of commission for the moment I used the WSM this week. I made 6 spatchcocked chicken on Thursday. Here is the top rack and the bottom rack is in similar formation.

It's nice having Multiple Webers sometimes!  :D

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »
I realized I should probably share my rationale why I went this route with the regulator.

I basically had 4 options

1. Get the old 5# tank recertified
2. Buy the new style performer regulator assembly
3. Buy the old style assembly with the OPD/QCC1 adapter.
4. The Gummi Bear option- new tank with normal modern valve, but adapt the existing regulator.

Option 2:

available here: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/regulator-assembly-p-1477523.html

Option 3:

available here: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hose-and-regulator-assembly-p-1477479.html

I decided against 1 because at the end of the day I would still have an old tank that is difficult to fill and would be specific to my performer. I called around a few places to see if they would fill an RV quick connect but I soon realized I didn't want to go through the hassle. I decided against #2 because it would cost me about 40 dollars in parts and I don't like discarding parts that still work- ie. my existing line and regulator. I would have also had to make a custom bracket for the valve that is oriented 90deg from the tank, and disposable tanks aren't economic and environmentally friendly. #3 is an attractive option but I didn't realize until very recently that they introduced this at the end of the ss life cycle. Even if I went this route, I would need a new valve on my tank.

I like the 11# tank because it can be filled at any station, portable enough to take on trips, and fit underneath the table cleanly. Aesthetics were very important to me and a 20# tank would have stuck way too much.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Working on SS Performers- Gummi Bear build log, pic heavy
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 05:09:24 AM »
Good looking chicken, what color are you plastidipping the lid bale?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 05:18:28 AM »
WOW! How did I miss this post!? Outstanding restore jobs Lawrence! This will definitely help for when I eventually find that Holy Grail SS red. This needs to be archived. Very Nice!!   :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:20:22 AM by Craig »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »
I'm gonna be the bad guy here and say that the Hose connected with a barbed fitting is not the best idea. Hose clamps are not meant to hold propane pressure. Sure its only under pressure for a few minutes, but any leak could be dangerous. I trust Gummi is aware and will keep an eye on it.
My suggestion is to get the updated parts or do what I did, I replaced the connector that threads directly into the regulator. Be sure to use the correct thread sealent for a gas fitting.
Lawrence, the rest of your build is fantastic! I just don't want anyone to get hurt while enjoying their bbq.  AJ  8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »
I'm gonna be the bad guy here and say that the Hose connected with a barbed fitting is not the best idea. Hose clamps are not meant to hold propane pressure. Sure its only under pressure for a few minutes, but any leak could be dangerous. I trust Gummi is aware and will keep an eye on it.
My suggestion is to get the updated parts or do what I did, I replaced the connector that threads directly into the regulator. Be sure to use the correct thread sealent for a gas fitting.
Lawrence, the rest of your build is fantastic! I just don't want anyone to get hurt while enjoying their bbq.  AJ  8)

Thanks for the tip, AJ. You bring up a good point! Better safe than sorry. Ill update it soon. :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:31:38 AM by pbe gummi bear »