Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jerky  (Read 3925 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Jerky
« on: January 21, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »
Here we go, getting geared up for championship Sunday!
First time trying jerky, my wife made the marinade, while I went to work slicing the London Broils. They were on sale, and so much cheaper than any other beef one typically uses for jerky, so what the hell?
Here's the set up for the day, the kettles will get wing duty later on, while the wsm is slowly smoking the jerky

Sitting in the marinade

All loaded up

A couple of things...
First, all the recipes called for drying the jerky with paper towels before putting on the grill, well I forgot about that until I was half way through getting the meat on, I guess we'll see...
Secondly, everything said to run it at around 170 degrees, but the wsm is wanting to settle in at around 160, can't imagine that being too big of a deal
I'll update through the day. Thanks for looking and have fun today!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Jerky
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:37:07 AM »
OH BOY, makes me wanna go do a batch... cant wait to see your end result. and for the record, I've always been in too big a hurry to dry mine off too.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »

OH BOY, makes me wanna go do a batch... cant wait to see your end result. and for the record, I've always been in too big a hurry to dry mine off too.
Good to know [emoji3]
I was hoping I hadn't messed up right from the start

northernQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »
Nice set up. Where did you source the stainless steel thick rod grill? (Or are my old tired eyes deceiving me?)

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:38:59 AM »

Nice set up. Where did you source the stainless steel thick rod grill? (Or are my old tired eyes deceiving me?)

I'm actually not too sure if they're ss or not? It's just the grates that came with it

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:40:04 AM »
Still needs some more time, but the smaller bits are tasty [emoji39]

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »
How long do you typically cook the jerky? Are you using any wood of just charcoal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »

How long do you typically cook the jerky? Are you using any wood of just charcoal?

X's 2

Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 11:45:59 AM »
Smoke flavor would be a nice touch and not often applied to commercial jerky. Love the weathered warrior too!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 12:34:07 PM »
Looks almost done on the last pic. The whole process of beef jerky is to take out all the moisture from the meat. So, if you forget to pat dry them.... it just takes longer to finish them. No biggy.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
I make jerky often. I use a dehydrator.  160 is fine, just will take a little longer. I usually go 165 for 2 hours and then 140 for about 4 hours. Some pieces will be more dry then others depending on how consistent your cutting was. Afterwards I put all the meat in a ziplock bag for 2 days, it lets the meat acclimate. Pieces that are too dry will pul moisture from pieces that are a little moist. If water droplets form on the bag, you might want to dry more. Did you use any curing salts?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Jerky
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 05:59:58 PM »
What’s your charcoal arrangement and start up procedure to hit that low temp?

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 05:07:40 AM »
Here we go, getting geared up for championship Sunday!
First time trying jerky, my wife made the marinade, while I went to work slicing the London Broils. They were on sale, and so much cheaper than any other beef one typically uses for jerky, so what the hell?
Here's the set up for the day, the kettles will get wing duty later on, while the wsm is slowly smoking the jerky

Sitting in the marinade

All loaded up

A couple of things...
First, all the recipes called for drying the jerky with paper towels before putting on the grill, well I forgot about that until I was half way through getting the meat on, I guess we'll see...
Secondly, everything said to run it at around 170 degrees, but the wsm is wanting to settle in at around 160, can't imagine that being too big of a deal
I'll update through the day. Thanks for looking and have fun today!

How’s the  jerky ?
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »
Thanks guys!
Came out great.
Set it up with a 2x1 snake and use mostly cherry with a hunk of hickory thrown in for good measure. I'd say it took about 5-6 hours. It ran in the 170 for some time, but mostly hung out around 160.
Here's a pic of the inside charcoal set up

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »
I'll have to try this sometime.  You always taunt me with pictures of that weathered warrior.