Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Updated GA's (now with taco)  (Read 3312 times)

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: Updated GA's (now with taco)
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 07:09:31 AM »
I think it has a few advantages over an SJ.

1. Surface are of the grate on the GA is larger. 160v147 sq in. Doesn’t seem like much? But it’s almost 10%.
2. Offset cooking.
3. Portability, I think the rectangular shape with folding legs travels better then an SJ.
4. Packable, you can load it up with a small chimney filled with coals, lighter cube, lighter, and a spatula and have a nice compact ready to go setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Updated GA's (now with taco)
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »
Truth be told, I still haven’t cooked on one of my SJ Golds yet but will be soon. The only advantage I can see on the GA is more room for an indirect side. Is this true?  If so does indirect really matter for a SJ or GA?  I do see these in my area but always pass them by.

Hoosier if you are looking I’ll keep an eye out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think due to the GA having adjustable top and bottom vents it really helps for indirect cooking.  Coals on one side with the top vent close and the bottom vents opened, then the top vent open and bottom closed on the indirect side.  I've done some killer chicken legs and thighs when I am cooking for myself.  Two maybe three thighs depending on their size, or 3-4 legs works great and they come out nice and crispy.  Also works great for 3-4 brats.  Use a small disposable pan and put a can of sauerkraut in it then the brats on top.  Smoke for a while indirect, then move the brats to the direct side to finish them up.  I've also done some random rice based casserole type dishes in small disposable foil pans indirect when I've just thrown together random meals based on what I had on hand. (rice, tomato sauce, green chilies, sliced up brats or sausages, or shrimp added later in the cook for the protein.)
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!