Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Let's talk Rubs  (Read 3163 times)

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: Let's talk Rubs
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 07:27:07 AM »
I used to make my own but have gotten lazy over the years.  I usually pick up 1-2 new rubs per month to try out.  Some get reordered but many are one-timers.  I am really liking Oakridge and Kosmos lately.

gengle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 07:07:14 AM »
Been using these for quite some time ... https://www.oakridgebbq.com/
The Carna Crosta, Secret Weapon, Santa Maria get me through most everything. I do lines of the Carna Crosta straight off the kitchen counter with a McDonalds straw!

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 07:23:16 AM »
I like to make my own based on Meathead's recipes and a few others I've tried here or there.  I have a really good spice merchant in town who puts alot of emphasis on keeping his stock as fresh as possible and sells it all by weight.  I can buy as little or as much as I need so I don't have a container sitting and growing stale.  Since I don't mind mixing them myself I usually make maybe a month or two's worth at a time so it's always fresh.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 08:21:58 AM »

Been using these for quite some time ... https://www.oakridgebbq.com/
The Carna Crosta, Secret Weapon, Santa Maria get me through most everything. I do lines of the Carna Crosta straight off the kitchen counter with a McDonalds straw!

Both of those are excellent! The Carne Crosta is one of the best coffee-based rubs I have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 06:39:17 PM »
I have quite a variety of different commercial rubs. My favorite is Killer Hogs , Victory Lane , and Oakridge. Least favorite is Meat Church. Bought 4 rub combo and wasn’t impressed with all 4. Dizzy Pigs is great too

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »
I usually stick with Mortons Seasoned Salt, garlic powder, and onion powder on lots of stuff.  For pulled pork ribs, I've been using this rub recipe:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236114/pork-roast-with-the-worlds-best-rub/ .  I love the ginger powder in this rub.

I've gotten into some of the Weber seasonings and am a big fan of the Weber Beer Can seasoning.  I've gotten a few rubs recently as xmas gifts and picked up Killer Hogs rub as well.  Killer Hogs  BBQ Rub is really good stuff on pork as well as steaks.  It's very low salt if not no salt, so depending on the application I will add salt.  It is AMAZING on popcorn!!!!  I think starting to use rubs has made some food more interesting instead of my old go to that I used on almost everything.  A pork steak with Killer Hogs BBQ rub is one of my new favorites.  I also used the killer hogs on a couple of wings last night that turned out very good.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:24 AM »
I use a lot of different rubs. I know I need a larger spice rack. I’m building a new one this summer.

I also make a few of my own for shrimp poorboys, and pork shoulder from time to time

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 06:19:48 PM »
I love the John Henry’s Mojave Garlic Pepper, and their Sugar Maple Rub.  I also make my own using my brother in law’s recipe, but i substitute in @CatskillSmoker’s maple sugar for the brown sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:24:38 AM by namtrag »

Black Dog

• Smokey Joe
Let's talk Rubs
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
I always make my own rub and feel that’s a rather important step in developing “your own” BBQ!  Twenty plus years ago I took the BBQ class offered by Paul Kirk, the Baron of BBQ, in Kansas City.  I know he has a lot of critics, and say what you will about his recipes, but I learned a lot about the basic spice ratio’s in rubs. 
I use a base of Lawry’s season salt, Lawry’s garlic salt, onion salt, fresh cracked black, fresh toasted cumin, fresh toasted coriander, paprika, chili powder of some type, sugar, and a couple other odds and ends, depending on what I’m cooking.  Everything is dried ingredients to begin with, so the shelf life is pretty good.  I usually make two or three quarts at a time and store what I don’t use in the freezer.  It stores quite well...
The rub I am dying to try is using some of Catskillsmokers maple sugar!  It is definitely going on my next butt or ribs.  Gotta be tasty!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:49:52 PM by Black Dog »