Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chrome burning off cooking grates?  (Read 4363 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Chrome burning off cooking grates?
« on: January 09, 2018, 03:40:52 AM »
I have had 2-3 standard chrome cooking grates from Weber that have never seen a S’nS or Vortex and within 3-4 cooks the chrome was burned off above the coals.
By burned off I mean that the chrome layer is 100% GONE from the grate above the coals and I can easily see copper or brass under plating.
1st time I saw this it was really bad and not just a small spot. This was on my new 2011 22” Premium Grill with Weber flipper grate using the Weber charcoal baskets for indirect cooking and by the 3rd cook the flippers were yellow from the copper or brass. At the same time I could see the entire lid was covered with white/Gray dust? Chrome Smoke ?
I had this also with my smokey joe from about the same age.. but by that time I was being more careful about getting coals close to the grates, but it had the same results.
Since that time I have had many grills and most of them were older and none of them ever showed the same type of damage. Even my 1978 weathered warrior had the factory grate and was in better shape after so long.
I have since been lucky enough to score myself an assortment of SS Weber grates that I use 100% of the time so I don’t have this problem anymore.
I’m just wondering if anyone else noticed a problem with the chrome grates from around 2010-13?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Chrome burning off cooking grates?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 04:09:12 AM »
Never saw that before. Sure, I've burned all the plating off over the Vortex... Hmmm
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:04:42 AM »
Pics would probably help a bit more here. I did see that with normal use the nickel plating did discolor and looked like brass or copper but with stock baskets I did not have it burn off or pit on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 06:19:25 AM »
The only burnt grate I have now is my SJ .. here is a photo of the under side where it’s burned off. The rest of the grate looks like new even with 1.5-2 years of hard use!

It’s not rusty, just thin chrome down to the copper plating.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 06:26:03 AM »
I'd call or email Weber customer service and send them the pics.  They might send you replacement grates.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:34:31 AM »
I had my 22” flipper covered by warranty at a major Weber dealer here and at the same time paid $12 more and they upgraded me to a GBS grate.
That GBS was fine and did not burn the chrome. I had that until I got my SS GBS grate .. then I flipped a grill and the chrome GBS went with it.
When I asked for the warranty replacement , the dealer looked at it and ask me “what the hell happened to that?”

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:58 AM »
I have a grate or two with that same chrome stripping (not rust). Did weber replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:52 AM »
Ja, my 22” flipper was replaced by a big Weber dealer here.
Other ones were placed in flip grills.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 05:34:08 PM »
My gourmet grate on my 22 have loss all of its plating.. it happens to every grate..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 02:38:18 AM »
Out of curiosity, what is the material/coating of a standard issue grate, fresh out the box for all charcoal kettles?

Stainless steel grates are they that much more long lasting?

Stainless steel grates , do you buy the replacements direct from Weber for say a 22.5"?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:45:11 AM by Shanks Kop »

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 05:49:54 AM »
I had my 22” flipper covered by warranty at a major Weber dealer here and at the same time paid $12 more and they upgraded me to a GBS grate.
That GBS was fine and did not burn the chrome. I had that until I got my SS GBS grate .. then I flipped a grill and the chrome GBS went with it.
When I asked for the warranty replacement , the dealer looked at it and ask me “what the hell happened to that?”

Please tell me more about the SS GBS grate.  Where did you find it?

Thanks,

Robert

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 08:04:02 AM »
Sorry @Robert , I’m not sure if Weber sells it in the states?

I hope this helps ;-)

Matt

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 08:40:46 AM »
Euro part number only :/
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 08:46:41 AM »
Makes no sense.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »
Europeans always get the cool stuff. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app