Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chrome burning off cooking grates?  (Read 4365 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Chrome burning off cooking grates?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »
Give me a break !
I said that I was sorry !!
You need to bitch at Weber and demand that the states can buy what Europe gets... and other country’s can get.
I don’t understand why Weber does what they do or doesn’t do.
If they sold the SS GBS grate in USA .. can you imagine how many of them they could sell?
And they would last forever... but maybe that’s the problem?
Maybe Weber knows if they offer the SS GBS grate in USA that so many people would buy them.. and then never buy a replacement grate again? Killing there replacement parts sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »
I wasn't bitching at you @vwengguy I understand it's no fault of the guys who get all the colors and kick ass accessories.  Just stating it makes no sense to me why Weber makes that call.  If I could ask for the item by part number, pay, and have it shipped to me that would be sweet.  No need to stock HD shelves with SS GBS grates.  Just let me order one over the phone.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »
Out of curiosity, what is the material/coating of a standard issue grate, fresh out the box for all charcoal kettles?

Stainless steel grates are they that much more long lasting?

Stainless steel grates , do you buy the replacements direct from Weber for say a 22.5"?

The standard grates and GBS grates offered for sale in the US are chrome plated. Stainless Steel grates are almost twice the cost of standard grates, but are less prone to rust and corrosion from the acids in foods, BBQ sauces and marinades.   304 Stainless Steel grates are pretty much a one time investment.  There are several choices as to sourcing SS grates.

Weber SS 2 door hinged grate for 22"   part  #80728    approx $75     (not listed on Webers web site - you have to call Weber CS)

Killa Grilla SS 2 door hinged grate for 22"          $75 + shipping           http://killagrilla.com/    **$10 off promotion this month (January)

ABC Barbecue SS single door hinged grate for 22"    $70 + shipping              https://abcbarbecue.com/product/22-cooking-grate/

Here is a comparison review on the Killa Grilla SS grates:     

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/product-reviews/killagrilla-heavy-duty-flip-up-grates-(304-ss)/

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:48:56 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Chrome burning off cooking grates?
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 12:00:49 PM »
I guess I’m just lucky. My chrome grates seem to last forever so I can’t imagine spending the money for stainless. Only grates I’ve had to replace are from a couple used grills that had rusted out grates. However, I’m not sure I would have noticed a spot like that as all of my grates are black from use.

And if I ever have to replace a grate, I’m getting the standard non flip chrome grates.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:03:36 PM by HoosierKettle »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 02:42:16 PM »
They are available here in Canada as well.

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 01:30:16 AM »
Sorry @Robert , I’m not sure if Weber sells it in the states?

I hope this helps ;-)

Matt

Thanks Matt.  Us stateside guys need to get a list together and send it to Killa Grilla and see if he would make a 22" and a 26". 

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 01:34:59 AM »
+1   I think it would be great if someone (Killa Grilla or ABC) can make a SUPER DUTY SS flipper GBS grate!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Chrome burning off cooking grates?
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 10:32:48 AM »
+1   I think it would be great if someone (Killa Grilla or ABC) can make a SUPER DUTY SS flipper GBS grate!

According to Mark Baron(bellexinc. msn.com) at Killa Grilla, it's one of the product they're currently considering. Everyone should start bombarding him with a request to go for it.

I have an aversion for rust on my kettles  so i use ss as much as possible.  All of my sweeps,burners, nuts n bolts, charcoal grates, and grill grates except the gbs are all ss. I was throwing away grates every 6-9 months before i transitioned to ss.

JV
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:35:39 AM by Jules V. »

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 05:39:59 PM »
I have an aversion for rust on my kettles  so i use ss as much as possible.  All of my sweeps,burners, nuts n bolts, charcoal grates, and grill grates except the gbs are all ss. I was throwing away grates every 6-9 months before i transitioned to ss.

Where does one get ss sweeps?
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 06:01:00 PM »

SS sweeps and burners were used on gen2 performers.  I acquired 9 gen2's  since summer mostly for the  ss sweeps and burners.  A 7-10years old sweeps will outlast a brand new sweeps.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 07:10:19 PM »

[/quote]Just last weekend I picked up this rust bucket for parts and was pleasantly surprised to find 90720 SS sweeps underneath a thick layer of crud.  A total PITA to get out, but worth the effort as Jules V. mentioned.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 07:15:08 PM »
Those ss sweeps are much sturdier than the aluminized version. The whole assembly is ss.  You just polish it off and it will shine like new.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »
This has been asked and rehashed. Can you still order the SS sweeps from Weber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 10:10:55 PM »
This has been asked and rehashed. Can you still order the SS sweeps from Weber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No more SS sweeps from weber, 18" or 22". Maybe they were slow movers and weber decided not to renew.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:08 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is the material/coating of a standard issue grate, fresh out the box for all charcoal kettles?

Stainless steel grates are they that much more long lasting?

Stainless steel grates , do you buy the replacements direct from Weber for say a 22.5"?

The standard grates and GBS grates offered for sale in the US are chrome plated. Stainless Steel grates are almost twice the cost of standard grates, but are less prone to rust and corrosion from the acids in foods, BBQ sauces and marinades.   304 Stainless Steel grates are pretty much a one time investment.  There are several choices as to sourcing SS grates.

Weber SS 2 door hinged grate for 22"   part  #80728    approx $75     (not listed on Webers web site - you have to call Weber CS)

Killa Grilla SS 2 door hinged grate for 22"          $75 + shipping           http://killagrilla.com/    **$10 off promotion this month (January)

ABC Barbecue SS single door hinged grate for 22"    $70 + shipping              https://abcbarbecue.com/product/22-cooking-grate/

Here is a comparison review on the Killa Grilla SS grates:     

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/product-reviews/killagrilla-heavy-duty-flip-up-grates-(304-ss)/
Thanks. I'm surprised the top end kettles don't have a SS grate as an added selling point.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app