Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: FireBoard Thermometer  (Read 2224 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
FireBoard Thermometer
« on: March 17, 2017, 06:16:21 AM »
Anyone have or used the FireBoard Thermometer it looks real nice and has some good reviews? I am in the market and liked the Smoke but this one looks good too!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

kanewtz

• Smokey Joe
Re: FireBoard Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »
I would get the Smoke by Thermoworks.

Their WIFI Gateway will be out sometime this summer and apparently they will have the ability to store temp data into the cloud and export to Excel.

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »
I sold my 18"wsm as it was getting to cumbersome to move around prior/after cook. I bought a used premium performer that needed renovation in it's place but I had to fiddle with the vents much more than the wsm, so I started to look into a ATC and came upon the Fireboard topic here.

Just got done with my 1st Fireboard/fan control session and it worked out very good. imo, very expensive for a once a monther smoke if even that, lol. But I have to admit it made the cook a lot easier and everything is with one unit, the thermometer. I had a Smoke and was thinking of getting the Gateway since the 300' bt wasn't good enough to go thru the house and a PartyQ or DigiQ for ATC. I settled on spending much more, maybe $100-150 more than with the multi unit option combo. Not wanting to drill holes for the bbq guru fan mount and weber wsm grummet in my performer I purchased a jimmy rigged one touch silver, maybe I'll invest a bit more to fix it up.

my last splurge on bbq'n toys for my remaining years on Earth.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:17:24 PM by Paul S »
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »
That fireboard looks kick ass. I’d take that over a smoke any day.

I have a smoke and like it, but this ups the ante with 6 ports and atc funtion. It does not have the remote the smoke does, which I never use.  It bugs me that the remote/base unit do not sync with WiFi and you end up setting alarms twice, once for remote/base and once for wifi/web. I only use the WiFi/web alarms and turn off and don’t use the base/remote alarms.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »
I tested a couple of fireboards to review but both died.

One stopped working when it got wet. The other just gave up I guess.

They were easy to use and set up but weren't reliable enough to reach for over the smoke or maverick.

There's a bunch of thermometer options and information here: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2018/08/23/best-bbq-thermometers/

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »
That’s too bad to hear about the fireboards reliability.

Hopefully, MEATER Blocks will be in our hands soon. I don’t have high expectations. Hopefully it will surprise me.

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
yikes! the thermometer is not water proof nor does it look like it's shock proof, it sports a plastic body and it doesn't have a kick stand nor is it magnetic. The oem water proof case is optional with the features that'll put you back some, lol. or go eBay for a case that cost a 1/3  of the original and use a plastic sandwich bag over that case to water proof it. The eBay knock off doesn't seem to have the hole for the Drive Control connector but I figure one mechanically inclined enough could create the hole oneself.

maybe i'll spring for the oem case come next month as it hurts thinking of all I've spent on this toy as it is already.

It's a small thermometer that fits my connection needs, wifi. The software that runs it seems to be very good. I can view the session, change probe temp. alarm and the pit fan control without having to go to the thermometer , it's all done on my android phone. The pc interface is the same as android app but you have to download an app to run the android Fireboard app.. Basically you hook up the probes, the fan control and fan to it and turn on the thermometer, place it somewhere dry and safe so it won't get wet or dropped if you don't have a case, lol. I've run a 6 hour cook with the fan control and it consumed 40% of the thermometer's internal battery(your millage will vary) as it showed having 60% charge left when it was all said and done, didn't have to use the supplied a/c adapter although i was ready with an external usb power brick to go. Everything else for the cook session was setup on my phone or pc. Just hoping it doesn't conk out on me if I take care of it right

drawbacks so far having it for less than a week, Costs ~ $280 for thermometer/fan control and another $80 for bbq guru viper fan and universal adapter for weber. Mostly likely another $65 for the oem case.

pros, my 1st stab at a 2.75ob chuck roast cook was perfect, some pieces were melt in your mouth but I figure it was the fatty parts of the meat.
You seasoned smokers have got it down not needing a physical viewing meat temp. chart to see the stall but felt that's another feature I'd wanted in the Fireboard app.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:17:27 PM by Paul S »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »
It adds up. The fan cable seems pretty pricy too. I think it is about the price of smoke+gateway, then add on for case and fan (more for the one with 8 probes). Probably a comparable deal. I’m sure there is one in my future. It would be nice to have more than 2 ports. Not sure I would ever need 6, better than have a couple unused than to need more and not have them.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 06:39:28 PM »
Seeing that the eBay case I looked at is 3D printed, I looked to see if there were any on thingaverse.  There were not, but here is a probe spool you could print or have printed.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3022528

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »
yeah,
it's pricey but it fit my needs.
Thanks for the link to the probe spools, I was also thinking about it but of course my wallet is thinned out at the moment.

depending on a sale the retail for Smoke/gateway must be near $180, maybe a sale $150-160. Then add in a partq for $150-160 or $220-240 for a digiq. The partyq runs off batteries, the digiq runs on a/c adapter, off course there are people who have customized their own source of powering the units.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:30:30 PM by Paul S »

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 08:11:11 AM »
error, bad eyes.
thermistor probes
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:52:43 AM by Paul S »