Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pat Pending flat top 26" saved from the scrap heap  (Read 4832 times)

Cellar2ful

Pat Pending flat top 26" saved from the scrap heap
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
Earlier this past week @Heyjude sends me a text with a link for a CL add listed as Free Scrap Metal.  This is the cover photo from the add. 

In the text AJ asks me if it looks like a 26er.

Glancing at the photo, I text him back, no I only count 6 rods on the triangle.

Looking through the other pictures from the add, I enlarge one photo on my PC and then see that the spacing of the lid vent to the handle indeed is that of a 26" kettle.

I text AJ once again, confirming it is a 26er.  He responds that he has sent a message to the seller.  The next day, AJ lets me know the seller had responded but was not willing to let the kettle be picked up as a single item.  All the metal would have to be taken along with the kettle.  That pretty much killed any chance of it being saved as neither of us wanted to take on the task of picking up and then getting rid of all the other crap.

On Friday, AJ tells me he had once again sent a message to the seller, but received no response this time.  The thought of seeing that 26er being crushed at a metal recycle place motivated me to try contacting the seller with a different approach.  I dialed the number and to my surprise he answered.  I identified myself by name and asked if he had some free metal listed on CL.  He confirmed he did, complaining that all the responses he was getting were CL flakes that say they are coming then don't show up.  I specifically ask about the Weber kettle, offering to buy it from him. My approach seemed to peak his interest as he asks "How much". I offer him $20, saying I really enjoy BBQing on Webers.   Without hesitation he said "Sure, when do you want to pick it up"? He gives me his address and we arrange for a pick up on Saturday.

I drive to the address, which is inside an old private country club named Diablo Country Club.  The club was established in 1914 and the property is at the base of Mt Diablo, a landmark that can be seen from almost anywhere in the Bay Area. The homes in this private enclave were all built around 1920-1930. They are estate homes with 2 to 3 acre parcels and have live in maid/caretaker guest quarters on each property.  This is one of the neat things I have found with chasing kettles. I have lived in the Bay Area for 60+ years and had no idea this place existed. It is only 20 minutes form my house and would never have known about it if not for this obsession of collecting vintage Webers.  I meet the seller at the address and he tells me the house was his childhood home.  His parents had passed away and his brother and he were clearing out the property, preparing it to be sold.  He was very happy to find out the kettle was actually going to be saved, restored and used as he had fond memories of his dad cooking on it for the family. 

Here it is.  It is a Pat Pending with really cool metal wheels that have rubber treads. No thumb screws.

I spent about an hour today cleaning the exterior, scraping the interior bowl and reshaping the ash pan. The cooking and charcoal grate are not with the kettle as the seller gave them to his friend.  He is attempting to get them back for me as he believes his friend has a smaller 22" kettle.  I have named it "Diablo" in honor of it's roots. There is no rim rash, dents or porcelain damage.  His father took really good care of this old flat top, storing it in his garage when not in use. All of the vents turn freely and all of the vent tabs are still intact. It is the first kettle I have sourced myself that has steel wheels.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:23:45 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pat Pending flat top 26" saved from the scrap heap
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:31:08 PM »
Damn! I’ll give you $60!  Glad you saved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:41:39 PM »
Damn!!!! I'd love to find a red one if these for 20 in that condition

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
Jim Grate save and score. Like your approach.
Congrats

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 09:36:23 PM »
Nice save Jim.  Had to keep looking at that second pic.  Almost looked like a PK.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:57:13 PM »
Saving one (beautiful) kettle at a time... Super nice looking kettle. The flat top silhouette is a show stopper. 26 inches of show stopper.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 11:59:41 PM »
Wow, great find!!!

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 12:03:05 AM »
Oh wow, congrats in that beauty!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 02:31:50 AM »
Congrats! Your perseverance resulted in an amazing score!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 02:42:42 AM »
Wow!
Would you ship to Germany??
:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 02:49:16 AM »
Man that’s a beauty. Well played, congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 03:05:08 AM »
Well done
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 03:15:24 AM »
That’s incredible. Nice find.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 03:46:10 AM »

Nice save Jim.  Had to keep looking at that second pic.  Almost looked like a PK.

Incredible save!
Congratulations on a beautiful grill, great start on the restore too!

Looks like there were at least 4 grills in this pile, including the 26er, bet the old timer was pretty cool[emoji3]
Really glad this one got rescued, use it in good health, and enjoy the history every time you use it, RRR!

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 03:58:46 AM »
WOW...Jim, what a great pick-up.  Really really nice shape flattop. You're gonna love smoking on that big ol' boy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER