Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Fried Chicken  (Read 23760 times)

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
Re: Vortex Fried Chicken
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »
Old post I know. But, just wanted to thank @bigmikey for the recipe. I am living like a bachelor this week, with the wife out of town and I finally had time to try this. It came out awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »
I do this as often as I can, it's so good.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »

It does work ok without a vortex but works way better with one. I've done it side by side on 2 of my kettles at the same time with the same exact amount of charcoal the vortex was done faster with crispier skin.  Either way I feel it's very important to get it as hot as possible before placing chicken on and not open the lid during the cook. I do rotate the lid without picking it up

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This.  When doing wings or chicken vortex style.  Don't place the chicken on til the coals are blazing and leave the lid closed.  I agree big time. And fill up the baskets if using baskets

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2018, 02:15:13 PM »
Re-reviving an old thread here.  I tried this recipe the other night and it came out pretty darn good.  I think with a few tweaks, it could be amazing! A couple questions for you guys:

1) I had the chicken thighs on for about an hour.  Internal temp was pushing 200, but there was still a little visible flour spots on most of the pieces.  Anybody else have this happen? It's no big deal for me my family, but it's kind of unsightly and I really wouldn't want to serve it to guests like that.

2) I had some trouble getting the coals up to temp, even using a full chimney of lump. (Had to put a small fan on low under the bottom vent to force more air in.) I'm at about 5,000' elevation here in Longmont, Colorado, so I'm sure it's an oxygen issue.  Any other suggestions? (With the occasional hot coal dropping down on top of the plastic fan, I don't think it's long for this world.) @MikeRocksTheRed and I have talked briefly about elevation issues, and I think @kingforce used to live in the Denver area.

3) Anyone ever try this recipe with cheap cube or flank steak instead of chicken with any success? (The Oklahoma boy in me could use a chicken-fried steak every so often, but my wife isn't too keen on the idea of a deep fryer stinking up our house or clogging our arteries.)
-Jed

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »

Re-reviving an old thread here.  I tried this recipe the other night and it came out pretty darn good.  I think with a few tweaks, it could be amazing! A couple questions for you guys:

1) I had the chicken thighs on for about an hour.  Internal temp was pushing 200, but there was still a little visible flour spots on most of the pieces.  Anybody else have this happen? It's no big deal for me my family, but it's kind of unsightly and I really wouldn't want to serve it to guests like that.

2) I had some trouble getting the coals up to temp, even using a full chimney of lump. (Had to put a small fan on low under the bottom vent to force more air in.) I'm at about 5,000' elevation here in Longmont, Colorado, so I'm sure it's an oxygen issue.  Any other suggestions? (With the occasional hot coal dropping down on top of the plastic fan, I don't think it's long for this world.) @MikeRocksTheRed and I have talked briefly about elevation issues, and I think @kingforce used to live in the Denver area.

3) Anyone ever try this recipe with cheap cube or flank steak instead of chicken with any success? (The Oklahoma boy in me could use a chicken-fried steak every so often, but my wife isn't too keen on the idea of a deep fryer stinking up our house or clogging our arteries.)

Try cracking your lid just a little bit to get more airflow.  It is amazing how the altitude is such a factor.  I’ve found that knocking ash off of my coals once or twice helps the coals get more air.  Sometimes I use my tings sometimes I just give the grill a little shake or pick up the from about a half inch then let it drop back to the ground.

Also, get an olive oil spray bottle.  A decent one that you put oil in then pump to build pressure so it will spray.  That’s my little trick for making sure you don’t have flour spots that don’t fry.  The one I have now has a glass bottom half.  Also have one that’s all plastic when you pump it up the bottom is convex and the damn thing won’t stand up when you put it down. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
Perfect. Thanks Mike!

Jed
-55gal. UDS/22.5” Weber Kettle/Firepit Hybrid, 26.75" Kettle, 22.5” custom traveler Kettle, 18” Jumbo Joe, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Q 3200,
-Jed