Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit Charcoal Grill Mods and Additions  (Read 8609 times)

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Summit Charcoal Grill Mods and Additions
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »
@JordanW
Yeah, I'm not sure what is up with the resentment/sour grapes that comes along with SC ownership. It is apparent on other forums too. That guy actually posed an interesting question - just in the wrong thread. And by claiming that the SC is nothing special and how he'd be owning one for $50 did not earn him any friends. At first i was thinking about how easy it would be remove the bowl with a SC and measure it to provide some basic info. But then i thought - dang...  why would want to help this guy?

@Kettle Karl
I have an older twin burner Coleman propane kicking around the back yard that i sometimes use with the charcoal chimney. It's okay for sauces and stuff but i wanted something smaller and cleaner and that i can use indoors as well. Yo can get cheaper versions of this stove and I think that Coleman does or did re-brand a version of the GasOne stove.

Another idea that i am mulling over is to use one of those "bottle top" single burner stoves like the Coleman or the Stansport and then cut holes into the work surface so that the knob can be poked out the front side and the burner could be on top side.

I think you would have to have some pretty strong magnets. I have a couple of old magnets out of an old hard drive. They are pretty large magnets as the hard drive was a full sized 5.25" out of an Octel voice mail system.

Looking at your pics, I see that you have dual hangers. I keep my single hanger positioned in between the two lights.

Tool wise, i have a set of three that i like. The Weber Tongs and charcoal rake are excellent. Not fond of the other Weber tools (not the current models) because they bend easily. I have the grate brush and it doesn't spin inside the handle like other brands do. But i want to get away from using brushes for safety reasons. Don't want to know of anyone ingesting a piece of brush.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 11:14:39 PM »
This is a really weird thread.

Magnets. Ok.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 03:37:11 AM »

Magnets. Ok.

What’s weird about it?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 09:20:10 AM »

Magnets. Ok.

Hey man..  Do you have a Summit? If so, you can just skip the magnets and the comment altogether, no problem.

What modifications have you done to your Summit? If you are still just planning to get one, what mods would you do?

jacobp

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »
Had my summit for a few months now and absolutely love it. My local ACE Hardware was clearing out the Grilling Center (they're only going to carry the basic model going forward) so scored the WSCGC for the price of the base model.

really the only complaint I still have are the cheap looking wheels. Don't get me wrong, they work just fine; its just the principle of spring 1500 for a grill and them cheaping out on the wheels. Will be looking here and other places for ideas on how to replace them.

Only other things I've added to the grill are two lights on the handle and an additional tool holder, as a couple other posters here mentioned. Still have my eyes open for a compatible roti as well.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
Summit Charcoal Grill Mods and Additions
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
Added the fittings for my Flame Boss. Had to drill out factory hole a touch to get it the way I wanted. Fits perfect. Looks clean and seals up tight when not in use. First picture, the ash sweep hits the lock nut, but after rotating the nut it allowed the full sweep.

The only thing I’m not happy with is the fact that my uni bit drill bit caught the inner bowl. I had to drill from bottom and I didn’t notice it happening. I’ll touch up with high temp paint when I do my first big cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »
Very cool. In PitMasterX's video on the Summit, he just poked the fan in and did not bother to put the collar on.