Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit Charcoal Grill Mods and Additions  (Read 8632 times)

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
Summit Charcoal Grill Mods and Additions
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »
When I got my Summit Charcoal Grilling Station, I read about a mod on the TVWBB to prevent the charcoal bin from scratching the bottom tray. So, I added a piece of scratch resistant ABS plastic and drilled the corners with a hole saw to fit. Also added some felt to each corner of the charcoal bin:

The bowl I receive was defective. Had silicon hanging out in a few spots where they sealed the two pieces of the bowl for the double wall. Weber sent me out a new one and it was dented. So, I got some aluminum pole from Home Depot and

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
Re: Summit Charcoal Grill Mods and Additions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »

Sorry, my 3 year old hit the post button.

I used the bowl to make a charcoal starter station. Try to find a cover for it:

Tapped the galvanized pipe and stainless screws.

Added another tool holder and handle light:

Added a SNS for reverses searing, and a drip and griddle pan to keep it clean;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »
Are the SnS and DnG for the Kettle?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 02:59:44 PM »

BD
Yes, they are specific to the Summit Charcoal.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »

BD

Well, if they made one (DnG) specific for the WSC, there may be hope of us 26er owners after all.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »

BD
Big Dawg I misspoke, the DNG is not specific to the Summit Charcoal, but the SNS I bought is specific.

Well, if they made one (DnG) specific for the WSC, there may be hope of us 26er owners after all.

BD

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »

BD

BD

I hadn't thought about that but a dng for a 26 would be awesome.  I would use it primarily as a griddle.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
With the Summit, you don't need a Slow N Seer or a Vortex. I might even go off of ATC and ditch the CyberQ Cloud.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
With the Summit, you don't need a Slow N Seer or a Vortex. I might even go off of ATC and ditch the CyberQ Cloud.
Although you are correct, you don’t need it, I sure thank it makes a much more versatile rig. For example, reverse searing steaks. With the SNS, you can have the charcoal grate in the upper position while your are gradually bringing the steaks to temp. Then, open the top vent to spike the temperature of the kettle and sear on the coal side. The added benefit is you get a much better sear with the coals on the upper level.

I also have an extra charcoal grate in case I want to smoke something on the Summit, and then cook a different dish on it immediately after. I remove the diffuser, add the center charcoal ring and add more charcoal. The charcoal on the upper rack ignites quick from the charcoal below. Then your ready to sear or cook whatever you want with higher heat.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
@GoAnywhereJeep  Is this our new home? LOL

Hopefully this thread stays on topic.

@Kettle Karl  You could totally add a Summit or Performer igniter tube to that charcoal station... Hose clamp or fab up some kind of bracket to strap a skinny propane tank w/ valve and BOOM!

Great looking mods too!

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 11:30:10 AM »

@Kettle Karl  You could totally add a Summit or Performer igniter tube to that charcoal station... Hose clamp or fab up some kind of bracket to strap a skinny propane tank w/ valve and BOOM!

Great looking mods too!
@JordanW - I already have another ash catcher assembly that Weber sent with one of the replacement bowls so that will be added for safety/cleanliness. You and I think alike, I already have a perforner burner tube, but I’m going to try to get the Summit one since I won’t have to mod anything. The Summit burner tube is different from the Performer.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
I really do like the skid plate you came up with. My lower shelf is all scuffed up now and I was thinking to do something similar.

One thing that i was also thinking to do is to glue a couple of strong magnets inside the bottom of the charcoal bucket so that it stays put on the cart when you move the cart around.

On mine, I have two of the lights like you have. I like that they both come in at different angles when open. Lights things up nicely.

I have a BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud and that integrates very nicely but i am curious to try a SMOBOT when they finally come up with a lid for the Summit. The idea of a servo controlled lid versus a blower motor sounds intriguing to me.

The Summit has been so stable in terms of temps anyway that I don't find myself using auto temp control as often as I did when i had the WSM. The temp reading on the build in gauge stay a lot closer to the measured grate temps on both my iGrill2 and my CyberQ. I could even see skipping the ATC on a summit in favor of just using something like the ThermoWorks Smoke.

Another modification I added was that I picked up a GasOne 3900P dual fuel single burner stove for making sauces and such. It will run on the 1 lb propane cylinders or the butane cans. Comes with an adapter hose and a case. I keep it next to the charcoal bucket in its case and plan to glue some magnets to the inside of that case as well to keep it put on the shelf.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:08:36 AM by GoAnywhereJeep »
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 11:17:37 AM »

Same here.

My goal was to “learn” the summit before i started using my pitmasterIQ again but it truly doesn’t need it. I was able to maintain temps in 16 degrees last weekend. The key, IMO is to start your fire small and let the insulation do its job. The rapid fire damper can raise temps like no kettle or WSM can, and the gasket will allow you drop temps down as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »

Great looking mods too!

I had a smiliar thought, abandon the last thread and start anew. Thankfully, you guys are a bit more proactive then i was.

I’ve never In my four years on here seen a thread get hijacked liked that, and never seen a member go so negative.  I think the summit is a bit polarizing for many folks based on its price.

Nice mods!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 06:54:01 AM »
I really do like the skid plate you came up with. My lower shelf is all scuffed up now and I was thinking to do something similar.

One thing that i was also thinking to do is to glue a couple of strong magnets inside the bottom of the charcoal bucket so that it stays put on the cart when you move the cart around.

On mine, I have two of the lights like you have. I like that they both come in at different angles when open. Lights things up nicely.

I have a BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud and that integrates very nicely but i am curious to try a SMOBOT when they finally come up with a lid for the Summit. The idea of a servo controlled lid versus a blower motor sounds intriguing to me.

The Summit has been so stable in terms of temps anyway that I don't find myself using auto temp control as often as I did when i had the WSM. The temp reading on the build in gauge stay a lot closer to the measured grate temps on both my iGrill2 and my CyberQ. I could even see skipping the ATC on a summit in favor of just using something like the ThermoWorks Smoke.

Another modification I added was that I picked up a GasOne 3900P dual fuel single burner stove for making sauces and such. It will run on the 1 lb propane cylinders or the butane cans. Comes with an adapter hose and a case. I keep it next to the charcoal bucket in its case and plan to glue some magnets to the inside of that case as well to keep it put on the shelf.

I like your idea about adding magnets to the charcoal bin, I think I will do the same thing.

You have also inspired me to add another light! Never thought about this, but it’s a great idea.

As far as temp control, I just can’t believe how stable these things are. Smoking big hunks of meat on my WSM takes much more attention, and much more charcoal. Not sure if I’ll add any auto temp control to mine.

That’s also s great idea to have a single burner stove. I’m restoring a Genesis 3000 right now, and will have it parked next to my kettles so I plan on using the side burner from the gasser when I need to. Your option may be easier though since I would have to uncover the Genesis to use it.

I found that the cover that comes with these grills doesn’t protect the bottom of the frame very well on the side with the kettle. Unlike Performers that have two legs that extend down to the axles/wheels, the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center has one post. This leaves quite a bit of the lower frame exposed to the elements. For now, I have cut two small pieces of round UV resistant foam that I jam between the wheels and frame to “trap” the cover on both sides. Works well, but probably won’t stay there in strong winds. I’ll come up with a permanent solution.

Thanks for sharing your mods!