Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Deer roast  (Read 899 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Deer roast
« on: December 22, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »
A guy at work gave me a small deer roast. I’m experienced at making deer jerky but nothing else. Tonight I thought I’d try smoking a roast. I know nothing of cooking deer and I didn’t google it. I just winged it. I started be seasoning with a wild game rub than vac bagging it with Italian dressing as a marinade. In the mean time I processed some of my neighbors mulberry tree for smoke wood. I reverse seared when the internal hit 150. I was pleasantly surprised by its flavor.  I would make it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:35:35 PM by HoosierKettle »

WMT

• WKC Brave
Re: Deer roast
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 04:16:54 PM »
Look good. I won't be cooking any deer meat this year. Three of us got drawn for mule deer season and got three nice bucks. Got them tested for chronic wasting desease and all  three came back positive with the desease. They recommend not eating it so it looks like its going to be garbage.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 06:02:46 PM »
Very nice Sean. Did you take it to 150 for a specific reason? I’ve always tried for rare to med rare for lean cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 06:33:25 PM »
Looks great!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 04:59:37 AM »

Very nice Sean. Did you take it to 150 for a specific reason? I’ve always tried for rare to med rare for lean cuts.

I didn’t look up what was a recommended temperature for venison so I was just playing it safe.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 06:46:26 AM »

I didn’t look up what was a recommended temperature for venison so I was just playing it safe.

Gotcha. If you get the chance to do it again try cooking it to med rare point and see what you think.