Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM rescue, worth the hassle?  (Read 6043 times)

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
WSM rescue, worth the hassle?
« on: December 18, 2017, 11:29:04 PM »
Howdy All,

Looking to seek some guidance from the knowledgeable folks here.

I'm looking to salvage a WSM in a sorry state (Looks to have been left out for a considerable time), before I'm asked it's nothing divine or holy, just a regular, black 18.5" and I'd say the model before the latest (no thermo grommets , thermometer etc). 

It's  a bit of a drive so want to make sure it's worth the hassle.

It's missing:
-Top vent
-Charcoal grate
-Water Pan

All easily obtainable parts?

Rust:
The food grate tab/strip, looks mega rusty.  Assuming they struggle to hold the weight are they easy to replace or just a case of bolts/nuts that are drilled through to hold on to the grates?

Nuts and bolts elsewhere look a tad rusty, but I can live with that.

I'm based in sunny England, not sure if that's a gift or a hindrance once the tips start rolling in.

Thanks all in advance

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:37:16 AM by Shanks Kop »

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: WSM rescue, worth the hassle?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 03:42:02 AM »
All of the parts that you need should be easy to get from Weber.
I don't put water in the pan, so I wrap an old Smokey Joe lid with aluminum foil to use as a deflector.
The grate straps are bolted on.

If the price is right, that will clean up nicely!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 03:51:05 AM »
Its got good bones... and as @jcnaz stated, parts are available.  If you can get it on the cheap, you will have an awesome cooker!!  I have an 18.5 and a 14.5.   

Great little smokers

Good Luck and keep us posted!!

Grill on!!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »
You can take a look at ereplacementparts.com prices and get an idea of how much it would cost to bring back to life.
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-2820-smokey-mountain-smoker-parts-c-193079_193086_193164.html

-The straps aren't cheap, but if you have access to a bench vice and some strips of stainless you could easily replicate those. 
-The grates are also expensive $60 for the set, but I'm pretty sure you can use 18.5 kettle grates as replacements.  The lower grate won't get past the lower strap bolts unless you either reverse the screws (nuts on the outside) or you can just rest the grate on the bolts themselves. If you decide to get the grill I can measure some grates to get confirmation here.
-Water bowls are pricey as well, but @jcnaz had a great idea.  You could also get a pizza pan, clay pot, etc. to use in it's place.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 06:07:52 PM »
If you can free up the grate straps, soak them for a few days in vinegar. That, and a wire wheel, should get rid of any rust and let you know how stable they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 08:02:19 PM »
   If you're into smoking get it, I'm sure you're getting it for a good price. Like everybody else said it will clean up beautifully and all the parts are available, some are upgraded go for those. RRR.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »
Thanks guys, I think I'll got for it and yes it's the cheapest I've seen one. The princely sum of £10 [emoji2].

The only downside, Weber replacement parts this side are extortionate.

As I've got a bunch of kettles, question is are the charcoal grates the same size as the 18" kettle?

Also is it easy to remove a vent from a kettle to the smoker ?

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
18.5 kettle has a 13.5" charcoal grate and 17.5" cooking grate.

My 18.5 WSM has a 15.5" charcoal grate and uses 2-17.5" food grates. Like I said though, the lower grate is a challenge to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »
Thanks Neil I just reread your original post, I get what you're saying now.  That might save me a few quid as the regular standard issue sizes are a tad cheaper here.

Happy to use a planter and ill sized cooking grates.

It's only the top damper (do they really all come in packs of three) and charcoal grate I think I need to worry about then.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 04:17:44 PM »
Good news is...for 10 quid (or $14) its a great deal.

You really don't NEED to worry about the top damper. Some people rarely adjust that one during a cook. As long as the ones on the bowl are good, you should be fine. If you need one, Weber would just send you a replacement that attaches with a screw and nut. If you had a template, you could trace/cut and fashion something for much less in a pinch.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 04:39:28 PM »
18.5 food grates work...cut out all the old nuts and bolts and replace with ss hardware. for the bottom cook grate..just rest them on the bolts...it will seat perfectly.

use a clay dish for heat shield...measure the dim and buy one in thr garden section of lowes /hdepot.

the grate straps are aluminum...soak in clr for a few days and wire brush..the bottom bent vent tabs can be bent back into place.

fab a replacemrent vent tab out of aluminum sheet metal...hdepot or lowes...you can make template from the bottom vents.

i had a similiar mess i restored several years ago.

you can use dremel with fiber cutting wheel to cut the rusted hardware out...you will probably gothrough half dozen cutting wheels..so make sure you have plenty on hand to cut out all the old hardware.

have fun...after you have all tools and parts...its a few days labour not including the clr soak time
Grills

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »
   Shanks Kop the kettle cook grate with fit on the lower section but the only way in and out is at an angle. If you dont mind picking up piping hot and juicy food no problem. I'm going to suggest that you get the upgraded lower cook grate its got handles and it goes in and out with no tilting. You got this bad boy cheap that means you can put more money in upgrading it.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
That’s a great deal anywhere but especially in England. Someone from the states can post you the parts if you want to save some $. Any charcoal grate that is slightly larger than the ring will work just fine. I would not replace the straps unless they are not structurally sound. You’re also missing the water pan. While not completely necessary, having something there as a radiant heatshield helps. Again, any cheap kitchen mixing bowl that fits will work.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 09:45:38 AM »
An ever so slightly belated Happy New Year.  Hope everyone is well and had an enjoyable festive period with loved ones.

I finally managed to bag the WSM yesterday (DU code)  after an initial lack of response over the festive period.

She was full of water, but seems solid enough.  Safe to say I'm happy with the £10 intital outlay.

It was absolutely chucking it down and pitch black by the time I got back.  A more invested appraisal will be required, when the weather clears. Not sure if this will end up being a spring/summer project.

On intital assesment:

All the main parts seem structurally sound.

Straps: besides rust feel solid, do I leave them in place after a little scrubbing?

Bottom Vents: currently all are jammed in possition.  Will have to see what's possible with some elbow grease and WD40, hopefully loosening up the rust.

Charcoal Grate: I'll have a measure up of the numerous ones I have, that come closest in size (I have all the Weber charcoal variants, besides the Ranch)

Top Vent: happy to skip

Water pan:  Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure I'll be able to substitute with some sort.of deflector

Thanks so far all.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »
I recently used an upside down smokey joe lid as a deflector on my wsm 18 during a jerky smoke.
Fits great. I lined it with foil for easy cleanup. It also allows for better access to the coals.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere