Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New York Strip Roast how would you?  (Read 2201 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
New York Strip Roast how would you?
« on: December 16, 2017, 04:26:13 PM »
I picked up one of these bad boys, wife just wanted something to throw in the crock pot tomorrow but after buying this I'm thinking the weber might be a better option?

What do you guys think? Any great techniques for this or just throw it in the crockpot?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: New York Strip Roast how would you?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
I would rub it with salt, pepper, garlic granules, and sear it on all sides. Line the bottom of cast iron dutch oven with unpeeled garlic, onion, celery and carrots. Place  the roast in the dutch oven and cook it covered   for 3-4 hour or until  tender.  Foolproof and works all the time. 

JV

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 05:35:29 PM »
I would rub it with salt, pepper, garlic granules, and sear it on all sides. Line the bottom of cast iron dutch oven with unpeeled garlic, onion, celery and carrots. Place  the roast in the dutch oven and cook it covered   for 3-4 hour or until  tender.  Foolproof and works all the time. 

JV

This is great....
Or you can smoke it at 225 with no sear and take it off at whatever desired temp you want...

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »
I don't have a Dutch oven I
Unfortunately but that sounds great!

If I smoke it at 225 how long will a 3.5 pounder take? What temp should I pull it at?

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 05:58:22 AM »
Any tips on this would be awesome! I'm going to cook it on the weber at around 225-250. From what I'm reading 130 internal temp is good to shoot for. I'm wondering how to prepare it and how long it will take to cook at those temps? Should I just cover it in kosher salt or anything else? I'm reading I should remove the thick layer of fat on top as well.

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:28:51 AM »
I cooked one that size indirect for Thanksgiving.  I gave a heavy rub down with course salt & pepper and some Tatonka Dust then cooked it between banked coals at around 350deg till it hit 130deg. Came out perfect!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 06:45:08 AM »
Do you remember how long it took?

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »
This is a NY Strip Roast?  I've never done a roast, but I do enjoy a NY Strip steak....(I assume it's about same) I wouldn't cook a steak more than 125 IT and let the carryover bring it to 130.  But I like my beef med rare. If you cook it to an IT of 130 it may be overcooked when you're ready to serve.
Would NOT cook in a crock pot though.  I think the crock pot will make it to mushy, and you wont get that great charcoal flavor on it!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
@Vette10R In case you didn't see my post, I did a NY Strip Roast not too long ago. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/ny-strip-roast-another-first/
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 09:51:21 AM »
@Vette10R  I would fill both charcoal baskets (if you have them) with lit briquettes with bottom vents about 50%. I would usually get around 350 deg with that. Cook until 125 IT.

For the prep, trim the fat off in one whole piece. Rub some kosher salt, pepper, herbs if you'd like. Lay the fat back on like a nice little blankie and cook.
Crate n Barrel Grass Green - Target Copper - Blue OTG - 14 & 18 WSM

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »
IT, not time. Cook it at 225-250 ish, get it to an internal of 125... sear. Keep the seasonings simple...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »

JV

This^^^
My wife and I used to cook moose roasts all the time in a dutch oven in the back yard using coals. We would wrap the roast in bacon after it was seared on all sides, S&P and cook with onions and garlic. Haven't did that for probably 10 years. gonna have to dust of the ole cast iron. Thanks for bringing back some great memories Jules V
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:08:43 PM by WMT »

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 04:26:10 PM »
Rotisserie

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 09:35:42 PM »

JV

This^^^
My wife and I used to cook moose roasts all the time in a dutch oven in the back yard using coals. We would wrap the roast in bacon after it was seared on all sides, S&P and cook with onions and garlic. Haven't did that for probably 10 years. gonna have to dust of the ole cast iron. Thanks for bringing back some great memories Jules V
Cast iron dutch oven is a very versatile accessory for the kettle.  I would say 75% of the pulled pork that i cook utilizes the dutch oven.  I just smoke it for 2 hours  or so and then transfer it in the pot lined with unpeeled garlic and whole peppercorns. Not much smoke ring but the smoke flavor is evenly distributed even on the innermost part of the pork. The best part is that it always turn out moist and tender without having to worry about temperature.