Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reflecting on Weber Kettle year 2017  (Read 5477 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Reflecting on Weber Kettle year 2017
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
@Neil_VT00 that cadywampus Chestnut-Coppertone is one cool kettle. That was a great score. IIRC the deal took a couple of days before it was done?
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 11:34:27 PM »
@Rub Yeah, the seller was the nicest guy. He was cleaning out his father's estate. I was trying frantically to leave work and get it right away. He wanted to deliver it because he went to a weekly karaoke night near where I live. 

He had childhood memories of the grill so he loved the idea of me cooking for my family on it. Definitely one of the best grill transactions I have had!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »
Yes, 2017 was fantastic.  I was cooking some stuff around July 1'st(Canada Day). I left the grill outside so that the coals would extinguish. Next morning I discovered that the grill was gone...along with the slow and sear that was in it. This grill had been on my driveway for years.  Next thing I know, a bunch of members chipped in money to get me a new SnS and another member dropped off some replacement kettle's.

This does not happen on any other forum.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
2017... wow ! What more can I say?
In the spring I remember telling my lovely wife Yvonne that the plan was.. I’m going to take it easy this year. Ja, that didn’t happen! LOL.
If this year was “taking it easy” then I hope I don’t get real busy in 2018 ;-)
First big batch of grills was hauled up in late May when the big clean up started. Production line style cleaning.

Then 3 weeks later starts the next batch..

And the cleaning continues ;-)
Later in the summer I got the chance to pick up my first Weber gasser .. a sweet Summit SS 470

It’s a great cooker but because my house is up for sale and I want to down size, I sold it on to it’s new owner.
My daily 22” cooker for 2 years WAS my black 2015 MT until ... I saw a ad for a Smoke Gray MT NIB that was such a killer deal that I just had to have it. It turned out to be NOS / NIB 2015 !!! I was so stoked because I always thought the Smoke Gray was a cool color.

Then the black MT was put up for sale and this is my new Best Friend !
In August I came across my first MBH Weathered Worrier faded black :-) a super nice 1978 that is SUPER rare here in the Netherlands !

It saw quite a few cooks and worked great for me but I did not have room for it so a deal was struck with @qrczak1 so he can now be the guardian for this grill.
Around the same time I found a 18” Premium Grill that had a 22” weber roti kit that was half ass’ed made to fit on a 18”er but I saw potential in it for parts.. that grill started the final steps in making my Pimped JJ Grill.

I also managed to get back to Michigan this year and I took my big suit case and I brought back some real nice souvenirs ;-)

Happy Happy Joy Joy !!!
While I was in Michigan I stumbled across a guy that was pushing a gas grill out to the curb for trash pick up.. it was dark out and I stopped to ask for directions and he asked if I wanted the grill.... 3,913 miles away from home on vacation and I say .. Sure , I’ll take it :-o

The next day I gifted it to a guy coming out of Lowes that looked like he would like it.  2 mins later he was so happy he was almost crying because he was just talking with his wife about a grill but he did not have enough money to get one.

While I was in Michigan I ran to 6 different target stores to find the last JJ for $27 to give to my buddy in Detroit.

Oh.. and I cooked and then cooked some more and then even more. I guess half the fun of buying / selling / trading kettles is cooking on them! Wow did I make some great food this year ! A lot of this great food was done with help from the members from WKC!
Wait a min.. I almost forgot !!
I made it into the 2018 WKC Calendar with my Smoke Gray MT !!! What a Honor to be picked for this! The other entry’s were all TOP grills and photos.
I’m sure I forgot about things this year but what a year it was!
I wish everyone in the club a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Grill On.
Matthew

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »
Not a bad year for a Rookie season.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
Reflecting on Weber Kettle year 2017
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2017, 03:14:14 AM »
  I’ve acquired 13 kettles since mid-June. It’s my first season. [emoji41][emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾. I enjoy the hunt. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:35:54 AM by DellJones »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »
13 kettles in 6 months. Ya done good.

duff645

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »
What I am thankful for:  you guys & gals at this site!!  Met some great guys at the Motown Meet & Eat too

Newbie that got me getting a used performer, 22" wsm, restoring a 18" and getting a SJ greenie.  Now I am putting a Pellet Pro onto my 22" WSM (just working on supporting the PP thru a CB Stacker).  I am not going a collector like you guys, but I respect your passion on cooking on a Weber Kettle.

Here's to 2018 - may your yards be full of restores!!

Duff
ad fumant, condimentum in, ut serviant

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 06:25:36 PM »
Others have posted how 2017 has been an awesome year from a BBQ/Grilling perspective.

What is your story, how was 2017 to you and do you have any goals going into 2018 that you want as far as grills?
It's a little embarrassing to say how my 2017 has gone, it was crazy good. I had a big Lang smoker not being used so I sold it and was able to roll the $ from the sale into hunting kettles. 24 of them to be exact.  :o  Here's the latest picture. I've added 7 since this was taken.
Hello my name is Rub and I'm a Weberholic.

FullSizeRender-208.jpg" border="0
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:27:42 PM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »
I got in and traded away and sold more than 50 grills this year, and I can't even begin to go into the what's what and the who's who.  However I will say I have made ton's of new friends and did lots of great deals with many of you guys out there.  It was great, the one thing that was constant was the unbelievable generosity of each and every member I had dealings with.  I will also say that this is a true community and I could not do the things I do without a huge support group....I hope 2018 is even better.  I plan to keep a log of just how many grills pass through my hands, We'll have this discussion again next year......thank you again everyone
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 08:34:50 PM »
@Rub Yeah, the seller was the nicest guy. He was cleaning out his father's estate. I was trying frantically to leave work and get it right away. He wanted to deliver it because he went to a weekly karaoke night near where I live. 

He had childhood memories of the grill so he loved the idea of me cooking for my family on it. Definitely one of the best grill transactions I have had!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

God I hope that handle shows up for that grill......I have been trying to get you the right thing forever.......hopefully I got it right this time...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 08:31:36 PM »
Picked up a grill-guard:

Good thing you got that picture while you could, that Neo won’t be that small for long.  :D
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2018, 03:13:58 AM »
It's a miniature Shar Pei. I could not afford to feed a Mastiff! Here she is at 6 months:

Retired