Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Prime rib methods  (Read 3371 times)

nitis

• WKC Brave
Prime rib methods
« on: December 09, 2017, 08:02:07 AM »
Well technically standing rib roast

What's your go to?  I've done a small 3 bone once and it was good but I'm sure there's room to improve. My wife has done them in the oven where you put them in at a really high temp for a short period of time the basically shut the oven off and let it finish. This is along the lines I was hoping to try.

I'd be using my performer and have plenty of options for fuel lump Weber Stubbs whatever

It is prime rib season

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Prime rib methods
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
I'm familiar with the oven method you describe. You often have to manually override the oven's default max, if you can, and set it for 500 degrees to begin.

I think it could be duplicated on the grill but would take more effort in both moving the meat farther away from heat after those first few minutes, and continually adjusting the grill to lower the temps.

What I don't know, about the oven method, is the rate at which the temp slides away. It takes a few hours to cook that way, so I imagine it's fairly gradual.

If she hasn't made that dish in a while, ask her to do it again, but place an oven thermometer inside, where you can see it through the window. Jot down that internal pit temp at various time points. When you do it outside, you'll have targets you know you need to meet for when adjusting the grill.

I would think something like a stacker that allowed for direct (but dispersed ...) heat (with the meat not in close proximity to coals )would work best?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
Maybe I should walk part of that back. Unless you're locking the coals together in something like a Slow 'n Sear or a Vortex, it'll be hard for the pit to maintain something like 500 for very long.

So that would be to your advantage, yeah?

Also, the more I think about it, I imagine the oven is probably only functioning as a faux cambrio for the last hour, having lost most of its heat unless it's a newer model that's better insulated. Some oven doors will burn you; others you can't tell if it's even hot inside.

Perhaps a combination of tapping the intake, and then later the lid vent, at about 15 minute intervals combined with the natural die-out of coals, will let temps slide down to where they should be after 2-3 (4?) hours.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Prime rib methods
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »
The rule of thumb for this method  is 5 minutes per pound at 500F.  Using the SnS with 1 1/4 chimney of coal, get the lid thermometer to about 600-650F. This should get you around 500 at  the grate. Place the roast on the grill and cook at the 5 mins/ pound rule. A 6 pound roast is 30 mims and 8 pound  is 40 etc. Once the time is up, close both the bowl and lid vents halfway  for 1 hour. After an hour, completely close both vents for the next  1 to 1 1/2 hours. Your roast should be done. The key here in never open the lid throughout the duration of the cook. I also use  a heat shield next to the SnS to avoid hot spots adjacent to the heat source.
If you can, air dry the roast for 12-24 hrs uncovered in the fridge. Take it out and let reach room temperature.  This should take 3 to 3 1/2 hours depending  of the size of the roast. Good luck. 

Heat shield.

JV
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:40:19 AM by Jules V. »

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »
The rule of thumb for this method  is 5 minutes per pound at 500F.  Using the SnS with 1 1/4 chimney of coal, get the lid thermometer to about 600-650F. This should get you around 500 at  the grate. Place the roast on the grill and cook at the 5 mins/ pound rule. A 6 pound roast is 30 mims and 8 pound  is 40 etc. Once the time is up, close both the bowl and lid vents halfway  for 1 hour. After an hour, completely close both vents for the next  1 to 1 1/2 hours. Your roast should be done. The key here in never open the lid throughout the duration of the cook. I also use  a heat shield next to the SnS to avoid hot spots adjacent to the heat source.
If you can, air dry the roast for 12-24 hrs uncovered in the fridge. Take it out and let reach room temperature.  This should take 3 to 3 1/2 hours depending  of the size of the roast. Good luck. 

JV

This is solid advice.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »
Thanks Jules exactly what I'm looking for with a bonus of new toy acquisition of a sns

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Prime rib methods
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
Might also want to add that i still prefer the more conventional method of cooking prime rib especially on the kettle.  A bit more foolproof in my opinion.
Get your kettle to 325-350F. Cook until you reach within 5-10 degrees of you target temperature (roughly 15 mins/lb). At this point make sure you have 1/2 chimney of fully lit coal and  quickly open the lid and add it to the grill.  Keep all vents open and crack the lid slightly. Your target temp at the lid thermometer should be at least 550F. The higher, the better .  ICook it for 10-15mins more to get a crust. Take it out and let it rest for 15-25 minutes. The internal temperature should rise about 10 degrees during this time.

JV
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:44:12 AM by Jules V. »

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 01:02:41 PM »
Reverse sear....225 until slightly under your target....then sear. See amazing ribs for details.  No Gray or dried out parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »
I make this every Christmas day....I use the Paula Deen house seasoning recipe to rub the roast....very simple and tasty.  Then I use indirect, 2 charcoal baskets for my set up.  I sear the outside of the roast over the coals, then cook indirect to temp....I generally go with a 4 rib roast....5 if I can find it. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
My mom has always done the Paula Dean method and the results have always been spectacular.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/foolproof-standing-rib-roast-recipe-1940448.amp

Trying to convince my wife to let me do one on the Kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »
Well here goes that practice run using Weber briquettes from clearance at target two chunks of oak and as I predicted prime rib (standing rib roast )season opened this morning @$4.95lb

For the most part I'll be following JVs method I think so here goes nothing.

So with no sns. I used one charcoal basket just off the edge of the bowl then filled in the gap I've done this before and had fair luck as a poor mans way of sns

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 02:21:32 PM »
Looks like you've got a good start.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 02:23:34 PM »

Well here goes that practice run using Weber briquettes from clearance at target two chunks of oak and as I predicted prime rib (standing rib roast )season opened this morning @$4.95lb

For the most part I'll be following JVs method I think so here goes nothing.

So with no sns. I used one charcoal basket just off the edge of the bowl then filled in the gap I've done this before and had fair luck as a poor mans way of sns

Just want to add to shoot for  300-325F at the lid thermometer after 1 hour of partially closing the lid vents. 200-225 at the end of 1 hour after fully closing all vents.  Good luck.

JV

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
Thanks JV worst case scenario I chop it up for tacos hell you can't hardly buy ground for that price anymore

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 05:48:38 AM »
Well I think the cooking time n temps were perfectly executed but over all it was pretty bland. My wife has crusted hers when cooking in the oven so next time I'll try that