Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer max temperature  (Read 14610 times)

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
Re: Performer max temperature
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightypizzaoven/mighty-pizza-stone-perfect-pizza-on-your-grill-eve

This and the kettlepizza might be a match made in heaven

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I'll take your word on it. Just ordered one although I've never cooked a pizza on a kettle before. Not much a pizza eater but my 6 yrs old love plain cheese pizza. Hopefully it would work great with my Caliente stacker without using a pizza stacker. 

JV
Oh, i hope you didn't misunderstand, I said "might" be a match made in heaven. I have no experience with this product whatsoever. I just know I've burned a few pizza bottoms or undercooked toppings on my kettlepizza setup and this seems like it might address that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 10:59:39 PM »
This and the kettlepizza might be a match made in heaven

No one has tried yet, MPS will definetly help in cases where the stone temperature is hard to manage due to high heat.
Bert

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 11:10:34 PM »
@BertVentures - really cool pizza stone!  I can see your invention doing very well for people who want to cook pizzas on their grills without any of the expensive pizza attachments that are out there.

Thank you, it is very simple deivce.

One other thing I thought about for getting high heat is putting a coal basket on the cooking great in addition to the coals on the coal grate.

I don't have a charcoal basket, but I will try somethng simialr.
Bert

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 11:19:57 PM »
I'll take your word on it. Just ordered one although I've never cooked a pizza on a kettle before. Not much a pizza eater but my 6 yrs old love plain cheese pizza. Hopefully it would work great with my Caliente stacker without using a pizza stacker. 
JV

I am not familiar with Caliente stacker, but if you are planning to use MPS for plain pizza you just need a grill with enough heat with no other inserts.
Bert

northernQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »
Simple trick to get heat UP. Run some 3 inch metal flex hose to the bottom vents. Stick a hair dryer in the other end, and blow cold air into bottom of the kettle.

And watch the temp skyrocket

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 09:28:19 AM »
Simple trick to get heat UP. Run some 3 inch metal flex hose to the bottom vents. Stick a hair dryer in the other end, and blow cold air into bottom of the kettle.

And watch the temp skyrocket

I did try something similar on my old cheap kettle using the items below . It did help with the temperature but I didn’t like having ash getting in my pizza.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bert

northernQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »
Agreed, so turn the dryer speed to low. PS ash tastes good. :)

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
2 full chimneys of lit KBB spread evenly will get you 550+ for a sustained amount of time... I've done a pizza party this way and was able to get about 8 pizzas done on my performer.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 09:48:47 AM »
Agreed, so turn the dryer speed to low. PS ash tastes good. :)

I don’t mind a bit of added mineral to my pizza, but my tow young Pizza snobs snobs don't’ like it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:39:22 AM by BertVentures »
Bert

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
@JordanW Did you have to crack the lid open or you only had both vents open?
Bert

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 10:48:40 AM »
@BertVentures both bottom and top vent 100% open. I did NOT crack the lid.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
I came across Weber vortex, it looks like it will bump up the temperature in the grill, I made my own version of it using left over chicken wire from another experiment and aluminum foil, I am not sure if it will works, but it’s worth trying. Check it out...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:37:02 AM by BertVentures »
Bert

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Performer max temperature
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
The vortex is just another type of charcoal holder.  The shape does not make it hotter. Concentrated charcoal makes it hotter but no hotter than any round or square holder that holds the same amount of fuel. It holds one full weber chimney. One full weber chimney with vents wide open reaches a certain temperature whether it’s in a vortex or any other charcoal holder.

You need more AIRFLOW to achieve any substantial higher temperatures. Just crack the lid. No mods needed or use a pizza accessory but no magical fairy dust or gadget is going to raise the temperature without more air.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
Here's my plan to use the MPS.  Never cooked pizza on the kettle before so any advice is appreciated.

Use a 16g ss dimpled charcoal holder. 12"x5" can hold up to 1 3/4 of coal.

This is the first option.  Stone sits atop the secondary grate. All vents open and lid cracked  by 1/2".

Second option is to use the same charcoal holder in the stacker. This setup allows  the distance of the coal to the MPS to be easily adjusted between 3" to 9". Not sure of the exact temperature at the thermometer but sometimes it wraps around past the 200 mark.

JV

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

Here's my plan to use the MPS.  Never cooked pizza on the kettle before so any advice is appreciated.

Use a 16g ss dimpled charcoal holder. 12"x5" can hold up to 1 3/4 of coal.

This is the first option.  Stone sits atop the secondary grate. All vents open and lid cracked  by 1/2".

Second option is to use the same charcoal holder in the stacker. This setup allows  the distance of the coal to the MPS to be easily adjusted between 3" to 9". Not sure of the exact temperature at the thermometer but sometimes it wraps around past the 200 mark.

JV

Now that set up will bring the heat!  Love your stuff Jv. Post a pic of one of your high heat cooks sometime.