Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex ribs  (Read 4647 times)

WMT

• WKC Brave
Vortex ribs
« on: December 03, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »
Has anyone tried cutting ribs individually and cooking them vortex style like chicken wings. Being high heat and short cook time would they end up being tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Vortex ribs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:15:09 AM »
I haven't tried it, but I think that you have answered your own question.
 I believe that the ribs would turn out rather tough with a short, high heat cook.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:19:06 AM »
You could always sous vide them and then turn'em a few times over high heat.  I've done it with half racks, it's pretty ok.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:01:13 PM »
I doubt it would turn out like you want but I like that you are looking at the Vortex as something more than a wing cooker...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:20:28 AM »
Personally, I would not try that method. Me thinks you'll be disappointed with the outcome. What you could do is invert the Vortex (wide side up), foil the narrow end, and build a snake around the outer perimeter. That I think would be your best bet.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:00:54 PM »
Personally, I would not try that method. Me thinks you'll be disappointed with the outcome. What you could do is invert the Vortex (wide side up), foil the narrow end, and build a snake around the outer perimeter. That I think would be your best bet.

This! /\/\

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 02:34:13 AM »
I do most of my ribs high heat / fast( no Vortex ) with my S’nS.
I sprinkle with rub and they go on the grill indirect for 1hr with or without smoke wood, then they come off and get packed in alum foil with a good shot of apple juice / or they go into one of my SS restaurant pans with a cover and also apple juice. Then they go back indirect again for another hour.
The ribs come out nice and moist with a good bark, not dry or crispy. If I let it go for 2.25hrs then the meat just falls off of the bones... just over done.
I have tried the old way with low temp and a long time but they always seem to come out dry to me.

By high heat I’m talking... pegged lid thermometer on JJ with S’nS charcoal basket / 22” with full S’nS basket!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 02:51:11 AM »

I do most of my ribs high heat / fast( no Vortex ) with my S’nS.
I sprinkle with rub and they go on the grill indirect for 1hr with or without smoke wood, then they come off and get packed in alum foil with a good shot of apple juice / or they go into one of my SS restaurant pans with a cover and also apple juice. Then they go back indirect again for another hour.
The ribs come out nice and moist with a good bark, not dry or crispy. If I let it go for 2.25hrs then the meat just falls off of the bones... just over done.
I have tried the old way with low temp and a long time but they always seem to come out dry to me.

By high heat I’m talking... pegged lid thermometer on JJ with S’nS charcoal basket / 22” with full S’nS basket!

I do them similarly. High heat indirect 2 hours no wrap. For some reason it never occurred to me to try wrapping the last hour. I will definitely try that next time.

I agree with you on the low and slow. I must do it wrong. I prefer hot and fast or at very least moderately hot and fast.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 04:34:44 AM »
Just to be clear.. when I say high.. I don’t mean color changing pizza temps!
With the lid thermometer over the coals and vent over the ribs.. my 22” MT runs around 500 deg. and my JJ set up the same way will show 600 deg.   JJ is smaller and thermometer is closer to the coals.
I also think the apple juice gives a nice flavor an steams down to make a glaze like a bbq sauce.
Some times I also mix 10-20% Apple cider vinegar in with the juice.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 07:13:20 AM »
I've gotta try it like you two do. ^^ Mine are often dry as well when doing low and slow. Seems like you're cooking it decisively to begin with, then removing before they can dry out.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 01:47:20 PM »
Very interesting @vwengguy @HoosierKettle ! Thanks for sharing. Do you just dump a fully lit chimeny and that is enough to get you through cooking the ribs high and fast?
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
Yes.. one chimney charge is plenty to do a 2 hour run at full temp.
When the ribs are done I just pull the ribs off and shut down the grill to save the coals for next time.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex ribs
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 02:31:51 PM »
Inspired by vwengguy, I bought ribs tonight. Just put them on.

Whole spare ribs with tips cut off cooking separate.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »
20 degrees outside and dropping. I’m pretty sure my grill is the only one going in my neighborhood.

One hour in.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex ribs
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:50 PM »
@vwengguy best ribs I’ve ever had. I can’t thank you enough. Only salt and pepper rub and no sauce due to a diet so it was really special to be that good without the normal treatment. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I cracked open the foil. I finished them off for a minute over the coals. Just perfect.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:15:43 PM by HoosierKettle »