Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wsm ribs direct  (Read 3012 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wsm ribs direct
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 04:10:08 AM »
Karl, those look really good.  I wanted to point you to some info if you are looking for a hanging kit and can't find the weber one for the 18.  There is a link that I posted on this post to Gateway rack.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/wsm-weber-smokey-mountain/hanging-ribs!!!/

It is really nice and includes hooks.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Wsm ribs direct
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 04:51:18 AM »
Thank you for this very timely post with lots of good tips.  Coincidentally, I did almost this exact cook yesterday. 

3 racks of baby backs, trimmed, halved, rubbed with Swamp Boys Rub (thank you again, @Rub), and hooked.
Approx 2/3 charcoal ring of Cowboy lump, maple wood, and a small chimney full of lit lump.Left to hang for two hours before saucing with Swamp Boys sauce, and foiling with a small amount of apple juice and back on for another hour.Just before serving I unwrapped and put them back on for another 15 minutes.This was my most successful attempt at ribs to date.  I really enjoyed the taste and texture imparted by hanging direct over coals.  Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:01:25 AM by Mr.CPHo »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 02:17:47 PM »
Your ribs look great Charlie.👍
I totally forgot to wrap mine in the end. And I didn't realize it until I looked at your post. Lol.😅 I was in a hurry to eat I guess.

Thanks Jeff for the link to the gateway rack post. I may have to look into one of those after xmas.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Wsm ribs direct
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 03:19:47 PM »
Nice ribs Charlie. Looks like you nailed the tenderness. I like to use some butter, brown sugar and honey at the wrap.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:11:47 PM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 04:16:11 AM »
How'd ya like the Hogs n Heat rub??? Its my go to for anything PORK!!

Nice Cook there Karl!!   Looked amazing!!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:26 AM »
I like the hogs in heat. I have used it on a couple of pork chops and now on the ribs too.
When I do this again a couple of things I would change.
 When I rotate the ribs I'm going to turn them over also. They seemed a little dry on the bottom edge. So half the time they will face up and the other half of the time face down and I won't roll them. I think I will use a traditional rib rack and rotate 180°every half hour. I will also remember to wrap them for the last hour.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere